Replacing a Lost License in Vermont

In order to operate a motor vehicle in the state of Vermont, you must carry a driver's license. But circumstances do arise when you have to replace a lost license or one that is stolen or damaged.

In these cases, you will need to know how to obtain a duplicate driver's license from the Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

Vermont REAL ID Licenses

The Vermont DMV issues federally-compliant REAL ID driver’s licenses in addition to standard driver’s licenses. Beginning October 2021, the REAL ID will allow you to continue using your license for domestic travel and entry into federal and military buildings—a standard ID will no longer suffice for these activities. After that date, without a REAL ID license, you will need another form of federal identification (like a passport or birth certificate).

You can choose to receive a REAL ID upon replacement—details are outlined below. For more, visit the state's guide to REAL IDs.

Replace a Vermont Driver's License

In order to replace driver's license cards in Vermont, you must request a duplicate license from the Vermont DMV. You can request a duplicate:

  • By mail.
  • In person.

The VT DMV does NOT currently offer online services for replacement driver's licenses.

Duplicate License by Mail

You can submit a request for license replacement by mail though you may be issued a card that is Non Real ID compliant and will read "Privilege Card" rather than "License".

To request a replacement driver's license by mail, simply send the application and the appropriate fees for the replacement. You will need:

Send the application and payment to:

Department of Motor Vehicles
120 State St
Montpelier, VT 05603

In Person Replacement

To apply for a duplicate driver's license in person, you can visit any VT DMV service location.

Make sure to bring the required documents and a check or money order for the appropriate fees. You will need:

  • The application for a Application for License/Permit (Form VL-021).
  • Check or money order for $29, payable to “Department of Motor Vehicles".
  • 1 document for proof of identity (which also serves as proof of age and lawful presence), such as:
    • Your unexpired U.S. passport.
    • Your original birth certificate or a certified copy.
    • Your permanent resident card.
  • 1 document to confirm your Social Security number:
    • Your Social Security card.
    • A W-2 statement.
    • A paystub that shows your name and Social Security number.
  • 2 documents to prove you are a Vermont resident, such as:
    • 2 pieces of mail with your name and address.
    • A utility bill for your address.
    • Your homeowners or renters insurance policy.

The Vermont DMV website provides a complete list of accepted documents.

NOTE: An additional $46 fee applies to enhanced license/ID transactions.

Lost License While Outside Vermont

If you are outside of Vermont, you can request a driver's license replacement by mail. See our section "Duplicate License by Mail" above.

If you are not eligible to replace your license by mail and your license is lost or stolen while you are outside of Vermont, contact the VT DMV at (888) 99-VERMONT ((888) 998-3766).

Report a Lost or Stolen VT License

The process of requesting a duplicate driver's license is sufficient for the state of Vermont as a report of a lost, stolen, or damaged license. Simply mark on the form why you are requesting a replacement.

There is no need to submit a report to law enforcement; however, the threat of identity theft is quite real. If you want a record of the incident in case of fraud or identity theft, contact the police to file a report.


Application for License/Permit
Apply for your Vermont driver's license, permit, or ID card. If applicant is a minor, the parent or legal guardian MUST sign the form.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review