Moving Out of State in Vermont

Registration Refund

If you move out of state and leave behind an unused registration, Vermont's Department of Motor Vehicle's DOES NOT refund registration fees.

Plates, Please

After you move, you must mail your Vermont license plates to:

  • Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
  • 120 State St
  • Montpelier, Vermont 05603

The DMV requires your plates so it can cancel your vehicle's registration from its files.

Just Moved?

Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.

Things to Do When You Move to a New State

In Your Old State

  • Notify your insurance company of your move and provide a new address.
  • Notify your leasing company if your vehicle is leased.

In Your New State

  • Apply for a new driver's license. After establishing residency, most states require that this be done within a set amount of time, usually ranging between 30 and 60 days.
  • Apply for a new registration. This too must be completed within a set amount of days after establishing residency.
  • Apply for new license plates. This generally coincides with the registration process.
  • Apply for a new vehicle title. Unlike the aforementioned, applying for a new title generally, depending on your state, is not mandatory. If you plan on selling your vehicle, only then will you need an updated title to correspond with your new state.
  • If you're a prospective new driver, you will need to check if your permit is honored in your new state.
  • If you completed a driver education course in your old state you will also need to investigate whether your new state will honor the completion certificate.
  • Learn if your new state requires vehicle inspections.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review