Organ Donation in Vermont
Organ Donation in Vermont
Donate Life Vermont is a non-profit organization that promotes organ donation by raising awareness and facilitating organ donor registration.
Organ donation can improve thousands of lives. It is important to understand the need for organ donation and how your gift can impact so many:
- More than 5,000 people in New England are waiting for a life saving transplant.
- 20 people die every day due to not receiving the organ they need.
- One person, who becomes an organ donor can save 8 lives as well as help many others through tissue donation.
For more information and statistics please visit the Donate Life New England website.
Register as an Organ Donor
NOTE: Once you complete your organ donor registration, you should inform your family of your decision to be an organ donor. Make sure they know your intentions, so that they aren't left with a difficult decision to make during their time of loss.
Registering to become a donor takes less than a few minutes in Vermont. There is NO age limit, but children less than 18 years old need parental consent.
There are no fee to become an organ donor in Vermont.
Register In Person
You may register to be an organ donor in person at the Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
To proceed, visit your local VT DMV office and indicate your desire to be an organ donor when you:
- Apply for alearner's permit or driver's license.
- The Vermont DMV provides the application online.
- Renew your driver's license.
While you can indicate your desire to be an organ donor, this online form is NOT binding after your death. See “Register Online" below for more information.
The easiest way to make your intent official is by registering online. To do so:
- Visit Donate Life Vermont to register with the state.
- Visit ORGANIZE.org to register in Vermont AND record your information nationwide.
Once you complete and submit either online form, you are on the official list to be an organ donor.
Update/Change Your Organ Donation Status
You can update or change your organ donor profile online by filling out the online organ registration form at the Donate Life website with your accurate information, OR by updating through ORGANIZE.org.
Online is the official method of changing your information.
How You Can Help With Organ Donation
You can also assist with organ donation by:
- Be an ambassador at organ donation events.
- Become a living donor through the donation of your skin tissue and/or liver.
- Encouraging your friends and family to register as an organ donor!
Organ Donation Myths
There are certain organ donation myths that are completely untrue, such as:
- You can only donate organs after you die: Actually, you can donate certain organs and tissues, such as kidneys, liver tissue, and skin, when you are alive and healthy.
- Hospitals sell your organs for profit: The truth is hospitals are forbidden from selling organs for profit, and are legally required to give them to those who are at the top of the waiting list.
- You need to be a relative in order to donate a kidney: While this used to be true, it is not accurate anymore. You can donate a kidney to a stranger as long as you pass the matching tests.
For more information, please visit our page about Organ Donation Myths.
Organ Donors Are Heroes
Make a difference. Register to donate your organs, eyes, or tissues.