Drivers Permits in Vermont

Learn the answers before the test

DMV Cheat Sheet - Time Saver

With DMV Cheat Sheets, it's like having the answers before you take the test. Only $9.95!

  • Computer, tablet, or mobile phone
  • Just print and go to the DMV
  • 100% Money Back Guarantee
On This Page

Vermont Learner's Permits

In Vermont, if you're a teenager, the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) requires that you obtain a learner's permit before you can apply for your driver's license.

This is a requirement of the graduated driver license (GDL) program, which is designed to help you become a safe and responsible driver.

Your Vermont learner's permit will allow you to practice driving while supervised and ensure you have the skills and knowledge necessary to pass your road test.

New to Vermont?

If you have recently moved to Vermont and have an out-of-state learner's permit, contact the Vermont DMV directly to see if you're eligible to transfer it.

You can convert your out-of-state junior driver's license for a Vermont junior driver's license by visiting your local VT DMV office and:

  • Pass the required exams, which may include a:
    • Written permit test.
    • Vision exam.
    • Road test.
  • Provide proof you have completed a Driver’s Ed course, that included:
  • Provide proof you have completed at least 40 hours of driving practice.

You must follow the rules and restrictions of the Vermont GDL program.

For information about transferring your regular out-of-state driver's license, see our Applying for a New License (Drivers 18+) in Vermont page.

Vermont Learner's Permit Requirements

If you're under 18 years old and applying for your first driver's license, you will need to first obtain your learner's permit. You must be at least 15 years old to do so.

To apply, visit your local Vermont DMV office and:

  • Complete an application form.
    • You parent or legal guardian must sign the form.
  • Provide proof of your identity, age, and lawful U.S. status (e.g. valid, unexpired U.S. passport, Certified copy of birth certificate).
  • Provide proof of your Social Security number (e.g. Social Security card, W-2 form).
  • Submit 2 documents proving your Vermont residency and current residential address (e.g. utility bill, property tax bill).
  • Pass the written permit test.
  • Pass a vision test.
  • Pay the $20 learner's permit fee and $32 examination fee.

For a complete list of documents proving your identity, SSN, and residency, visit the VT Department of Motor Vehicles website.

Taking the Written Vermont Permit Test

Although making an appointment at the Vermont DMV is not required for your written permit tests, it is recommended.

To make an appointment, simply call (802) 828-2085.

The written permit will consist of 20 questions (multiple choice). You must answer 16 questions correctly to pass. If you fail, you must wait 1 day before you can take the test again.

Pass The Written Test On Your First Try

To help you prepare for the written test, the DMV offers an interactive tutorial. We also suggest preparing with an online practice test from our approved partner.

Vermont Learner's Permit Restrictions

With your learner's permit in your possession you are allowed to practice driving as long as you are accompanied by your licensed, unimpaired parent or guardian who is at least 25 years old.

Your supervisor must be seated in the front passenger seat.

Behind-the-Wheel Requirements

Before you can move on to the next step of the GDL process and obtain your junior operator's license, you must complete both Driver's Ed AND supervised driving practice.

Your supervised driving practice must total at least 40 hours, including 10 hours at night. Nighttime is classified as 30 minutes following sunset to 30 minutes before sunrise.

NOTE: Visit our Driver's Ed in Vermont page to learn more about the driver's education requirement.

Next Step: Junior Operator's License

You will be eligible for your junior driver's license once you have:

  • Held your learner's permit for at least 1 year.
  • Successfully completed a Driver's Ed course.
  • Completed your required behind-the-wheel driving hours.

You must have had a clean driving record for the past 6 months.

For more information on applying for your first driver's license, see our Applying for a New License (Teen Drivers) in Vermont page.

Related Products and Services

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review

Join the


people who have pledged through DMV.ORG to drive without distractions.