Name Change in Vermont

Summary: How to Change Your Name in Vermont

Once you've changed your name, you must notify the VT DMV within 30 days. To change your name on your VT driver’s license/ID card, car registration, and title, you'll need to visit your local Vermont DMV office in person. You will need to bring in various documents to prove your identity, documents proving your new name, and payment for any replacement documents.

Continue reading this page to learn more about how to change your name on your Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) documents.

Change Your Name with the SSA

Immediately after officially changing your name, you should update the Social Security Administration (SSA) and obtain a new Social Security card. You will need to do this before you change your name on your driver's license and vehicle records.

You will need to submit the following documents to the SSA either by mail or in person:

  • Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).
  • Proof of your name change, such as your:
    • Divorce decree.
    • Court order.
    • Marriage certificate.
  • Proof of your identity, such as your:
    • VT driver's license.
    • State-issued ID card.
    • U.S. passport.
  • Proof of your legal presence in the U.S., such as your:
    • U.S. citizenship certificate.
    • U.S. birth certificate.
    • Work authorization and I-94.

A complete list of required documents can be found on the SSA website. Be sure to look up the documents need for a corrected card.

The SSA will process your request and once approved, you should receive your updated Social Security card in the mail within 14 business days.

VT Driver's License/ID Card Name Change

Once you've changed your name with the SSA, you're ready to update your Vermont driver's license or ID card. You'll need to do this within 30 days of your official name change.

Visit your local Vermont DMV office in person with:

  • An original or certified copy of your name change document, such as your:
    • Marriage certificate.
    • Court order.
    • Divorce decree.
  • Payment for the duplicate license/ID card fee.

If you're applying for a duplicate enhanced driver's license (EDL) or ID card (EID), you will also need to bring additional documents to prove your:

  • Identity and date of birth, such as your:
    • U.S. passport (non-expired).
    • U.S. birth certificate.
  • Social Security number (SSN), such as your:
    • Social Security card.
    • Pay stub showing your full SSN).
  • Vermont residency, such as your:
    • Utility bill.
    • Rental insurance policy.

A complete list of required documents can be found on your application form. Contact the VT DMV office before your visit to make sure they issue enhanced driver's licenses.

Car Registration & Title Name Change

To change your name on your Vermont car registration, you'll need to visit your local Vermont DMV office in person and submit:

To update your certificate of title, you may need to complete a title transfer with your old name as the “Seller" and your new name as the “Buyer." Contact the Vermont DMV to confirm what you need to do.

Fees to Change Your Name in VT

To change your name on your VT Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) documents, you will need to pay the following fees:

  • Regular driver's license: $29.
  • Regular learner's permit: $24.
  • Enhanced driver's license (EDL): $60 (or $46 to convert to an EDL from a regular driver's license).
  • Enhanced ID card: $29.
  • Registration:
    • All-terrain vehicles (ATVs): $6.
    • Snowmobiles: $6.
    • Boats: $3.
    • All other vehicles: $20.
  • Title transfer: $42.

Change Your Vermont Address

If you change your address in Vermont, you must notify the DMV within 30 days of your move. You will have the following options to complete this transaction:

  • Online.
  • At a DMV kiosk.
  • In person.
  • By mail.

For more information, visit our Change of Address in Vermont page.


Application for Commercial License/Permit
Application to the Vermont Division of Motor Vehicles for a CDL.
Application for a Social Security Card
Application for a Social Security card. Completed form must be submitted to a Social Security office.
Application for License/Permit
Apply for your Vermont driver's license, permit, or ID card. If applicant is a minor, the parent or legal guardian MUST sign the form.
Registration Tax and Title Application
Use this form to register and title your vehicle with the Vermont DMV.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review