Buying and Selling FAQs in Vermont

What kind of time period do I have on my temporary plates?

Temporary plates are valid for 60 days. They cannot be renewed.

Under what circumstances does the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) issue temporary plates?

Temporary plates are issued for the following situations:

  • Waiting for a vanity plate.
  • Waiting for the vehicle identification number to be verified.

Explain Vermont's Purchase and Use Tax

You must pay this one-time tax when initially registering and titling a vehicle. The rate is based on 6% of the of the vehicle's purchase price or the average trade-in value, as established by the National Automobile Drivers Association (NADA). The DMV charges the higher value of the two.

In regards to Vermont's Purchase and Use Tax, can I challenge's NADA's rate if I think the car's value is less?

Go for it. To do so, submit a Vermont Dealer Appraisal (Form VD-012) within 30 days of registering the vehicle in question.

Are there are any restrictions I should know about if I want to buy my car in Canada?

Yes. The vehicle cannot be reconstructed or have salvage status. And you can only bring it over the border if it is for personal use. In other words, you can't shuttle it into the state with the intent of selling it.

If I can't find a certification label with my imported vehicle, how do I know if it complies with National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) standards?

Directly contact the vehicle's manufacturer. If you need assistance gathering contact information, call the NHTSA's Office of Vehicle Safety Compliance at (202) 366-5291.

If I'm importing a car into Vermont, is it true I must have the undercarriage cleaned before shipping?

Not just cleaned, but thoroughly cleaned. The U.S. Department of Agriculture requires that all undercarriages be thoroughly cleaned so as to safeguard against transporting any dangerous pests into the state and the country.

What documentation will I need if I'm importing a vehicle into Vermont?

You will need the following:

  • The shipper's or carrier's original bill of lading.
  • The bill of sale.
  • Foreign registration documents.

Or, if all of the above seems like too much work you can hire an Independent Commercial Importer (ICI) to import your vehicle. Be willing to dent your savings account, however. ICIs are extremely expensive.


Bill of Sale and Odometer Disclosure Statement
Complete and submit this form to the Vermont DMV after the private sale of a vehicle. The buyer MUST sign the salvage section if the vehicle is salvaged or has been totalled.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review