Other Licenses & Endorsements in Virginia

Special Licenses in Virginia

The Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) offers specific licenses and endorsements for certain types of vehicles and driving professions.

To apply for a new driver's license class or endorsement, you'll generally need to visit your local Virginia DMV office and:

  • Complete a new application.
  • Pass a knowledge test.
  • Pass a driving test in the type of vehicle you want to drive.
  • Pay a new licensing fee.

On this page you'll find an overview of some of the classes and endorsements available to you.

For information about applying for a standard driver's license, please visit our pages on the following topics:

Commercial Driver's Licenses and Endorsements

Certain types of vehicles and driving professions will require you to hold a commercial driver's license (CDL). For information about obtaining a VA CDL, please visit our Applying for a New CDL in Virginia page.

Bus Requirements in Virginia

To drive a bus, you must have a passenger endorsement on your commercial driver's license. To obtain this endorsement, you must:

  • Pass a written general knowledge test.
  • Pass a written passenger test.
  • Pass a written air brakes exam, only if the bus you'll be driving is fitted with air brakes.
  • Pass the bus driving skills test.

Other requirements such as age and driving experience vary with each school district.

For more information, please contact the Virginia DMV.

Shuttle Bus/Van

If your bus or van carries fewer than 16 passengers, you do not need a commercial driver's license (CDL). You only need a regular Virginia driver's license. Other requirements, such as age and driving history, vary with each employer.

Taxi & Chauffeur Licenses in Virginia

Virginia taxi licenses and permits are handled by municipal governments and, in some cases, local police departments.

To apply for a taxi chauffeur's license, you'll likely need to complete a For-Hire Intrastate Operating Authority Certificate or License Application (Form OA 144M). Instructions are included with the application.

Additionally, you may need to:

  • Be medically certified.
  • Pass a background check.
  • Maintain a clean driving record.

For more information, please contact the Virginia DMV.

Sport Vehicles in Virginia

Most sport vehicles do not require a special driver's license or endorsement, however, age restrictions may apply.

Certain vehicles may require you to hold a motorcycle license or endorsement. For more information, please visit our Motorcycle License in Virginia page.

All-Terrain Vehicles (ATVs)

The following rules apply to ATVs in Virginia:

  • If you're younger than 12 years old, you are not permitted to ride an ATV of more than 70 CC.
  • If you're between 12 and 16 years old, you are restricted to ATV's of no more than 90 CC.

Personal Watercraft (PWC)

To operate a personal watercraft or jet ski in Virginia, the following will apply:

  • If you're 16 years old or older, you are not required to complete a boating safety course in order to operate a PWC.
  • If you're 14 or 15 years old, you must carry proof that you've completed a boating safety course.
  • If you're under 14 years old, you cannot operate a PWC.


OA 144M
For-Hire Intrastate Operating Authority Certificate, License, or Permit Renewal Application
Department of Motor Vehicles application to renew certificate, license, OR permit for intrastate business operations in VA.