Replacing a Lost Title in Virginia

Replacing a Lost Title in Virginia

If your title has become illegible, damaged, lost or stolen, you will need to order a replacement. A title is needed whenever you need to prove ownership of your car, such as when you are selling the vehicle or using it as collateral on a loan.

The Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) can replace just about every vehicle-related document, including misplaced titles.

Applying for a Duplicate Title in VA

The DMV provides several convenient options: onlineor in person at your local VA DMV office.


To apply online, you'll need to provide your:

  • Customer number (located on your driver's license or ID card).
  • Date of birth.
  • PIN.
  • Payment for the $10 replacement fee, payable by credit card.

In Person

To apply for a replacement title in person, you'll need to visit any customer service center and bring:

  • A completed Application for Supplemental and Transfer Liens or Replacement and Substitute Titles (Form VSA 66).
    • You will need to provide your Social Security number, any relevant lien information and details about the vehicle.
    • You can also get a copy in any Virginia DMV customer service office.
  • Bring your registration certificate, and either your license or photo ID.
  • Supporting documents such as a will or court order, if you are changing the title on an inherited car.
  • Payment for the $10 replacement title fee.

Miscellaneous Info

  • If your title has a lien, the replacement title will be sent to the lienholder. Otherwise, it will be given to you.
  • A replacement title invalidates the original title.

Making Corrections on Your Title

You can remove a deceased owner, remove or add a lien, change an address or change your name on a duplicate title.

Simply check the correct box at the top of the application form to indicate the change and include the requested supporting documents.

Removing Deceased Owners

If you are a joint owner of a vehicle and have rights of survivorship, you can get a sustitute title in your name after supplying the existing title and a notarized death certificate. If you are changing the title because you have been bequeathed a car through a will or through probate, you will need to supply the will or a court order.

Change Your Name

When changing your name on a title, you will need to update your drivers license first. From there, you can:

Change Your Address

You are required to update the address on your drivers license first. You'll need to:

For more information, view our page about Changing Your Address.


Address Change Request - ISD 01

Use this form to update your address with the Virginia DMV when you move.

Application for Supplemental and Transfer Liens or Replacement and Substitute Titles - VSA 66

Submit this form to the DMV to request a lien transfer OR supplemental lien on your VA vehicle title. BBB Business Review

Number of Organ Donors who registered through