Replacing a Lost License in Virginia

Replacing a Lost License in VA

If your license has been lost or stolen, you've lost your ability to drive legally and you've lost your main photo ID.

Luckily, the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) makes it easy to get a replacement driver's license, permit, or ID.

Report a Lost or Stolen Virginia License, Permit, or ID

If your license has been lost or stolen, consider reporting it to the police, especially if you're certain you've been a victim of theft.

Reporting your license stolen can help prevent someone from using or assuming your identity. To learn more about protecting your identity, visit our page on identity theft prevention.

Apply for a Replacement VA Driver's License

REAL IDs & Replacements

If you plan to upgrade to a VA REAL ID upon replacement, you'll need to do so in person and follow the steps for a first-time REAL ID application. Jump over to our license guide for help.

The VA DMV provides two options for obtaining a replacement license or ID card for residents currently in the state.* You may apply either online or in person. Certain eligibility requirements apply to online requests.

Note that if your license is within 1 year of expiring, you can choose to renew your license instead of replacing it.

Also note that if you are authorized to be in the country on a temporary basis and have a limited duration ID card, you may replace it only if it is valid and unexpired and if your authorized stay is over 30 days from the date of your application.

* If you are temporarily out of state, please see the section on out-of-state or military replacement below.

Apply Online

You can apply for a replacement license or ID online at VA's MyDMV website UNLESS:

  • Your license has been canceled, revoked, or suspended.
  • Your license/ID card is expired.
  • Your license/ID card was issued before 1/1/04.
  • You are under 18 years old.
  • You need to change the name on your license/ID card.
  • You have an outstanding balance with the DMV.
  • Your license has a profile picture on it.
  • You've surrendered your license/ID card to another state.
  • You need to get a new photo.
  • You don't have a VA address.
  • The DMV needs to verify your customer number.
  • You've already requested a replacement today.
  • You are required to prove your legal presence.

If you are eligible to request a replacement online, take the following steps:

  • Go to the MyDMV website.
  • Enter the following info:
    • Customer number/social security number (SSN).
    • Date of birth.
  • Follow the prompts to complete the transaction.
  • Pay the applicable fee. (See “Replacement Fees" below.)

Once your request is processed, your license will be mailed to your current address. (See below for more information).

Apply In Person

To apply in person, you must:

  • Visit your local DMV customer service center.
  • Present a completed Driver's License and Identification Card Application(Form DL 1P).
  • Present 1 proof of ID:
    • Replacing a REAL ID credential requires additional documents..
  • If required, present proof of legal presence:
    • If you are replacing a license that has been revoked or is expired, you must prove legal presence.
    • If you are replacing a license that's been suspended or canceled, and your record does not show that you've proven legal presence (and the limited duration time is not yet expired), you are required to show legal presence.
    • If your proof of legal presence document doesn't show an expiration date, you will be issued a limited duration license.
    • This does not apply to a U.S. birth certificate.
  • Take a new photo.
  • If you have both a driver's license and ID card, you will need to surrender one to replace the other.
  • Pay the applicable fee. (See “Replacement Fees" below.)

NOTE: If you are authorized to be in the country on a temporary basis and have a limited duration driver's license, you are not eligible to replace it.

When Will I Get My Replacement?

You will receive your replacement driver's license, permit, or ID in the mail, whether you order it online or in person. The DMV office does not issue licenses and IDs on-the-spot anymore; they are issued from a secure central location. Make sure the DMV has your current address on file. If you need to change your address, make sure to do so either before you request your replacement online or when you go to the customer service office to request your replacement.

In the meantime, if you've ordered an ID card, you'll get a receipt.

If you've ordered a replacement license, you'll get a temporary license you can use to drive but not as a proof of identification.

Allow 2 weeks for the replacement card to arrive in the mail. If it hasn't arrived in 2 weeks, you can call the DMV at (804) 497-7100 to check the status.

Replacement VA License Fees

The fee for replacement varies on the type of document you are replacing:

  • Replacement license (standard, CDL, or motorcycle): $20.
  • Replacement ID card: $10.
  • Replacement instruction permit (standard, CDL, or motorcycle): $2.

The VA DMV accepts the following methods of payment:

  • Cash.
  • Check/e-check or money order.
    • Make payable to Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles.
  • Visa, Discover, MasterCard, American Express credit or debit cards.

Out-of-State and Military VA License Replacement

If you are a VA resident temporarily traveling out of state or stationed abroad as a member of the military, you can request an out-of-state driver's license packet IF you have a digital image on file with the DMV. If you don't, you have to get your photo taken at a customer service center.

To do so, go to the VA DMVs online packet request form.

When you get the packet, it will include the following forms:

Once you've completed the forms, take the following steps:

  • Put all the completed forms/applications in the return envelope provided in the packet.
  • Return the application in the return envelope and include a check or money order (or the completed request for credit card charge) for the $20 fee.

Once your packet is received by the VA DMV, they will issue you a replacement driver's license. Remember, they will not issue you a license if they don't have a digital image of you on file.

VA Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Replacement

You cannot drive a commercial vehicle without a CDL, so you must replace a lost or stolen license immediately. To learn how to replace your CDL you can visit our page.


DVM 143
Re-Establishing Your Virginia Residency or Qualifying for a Virginia Address Requirement Exemption
Explains how to prove you have a VA address and who can keep a VA driver's license without a VA address.
Driver's License and Identification Card Application
Submit to the DMV to apply for an original, renewal, OR replacement Virginia driver's license, learner's permit, OR motorcycle license.
DMS 004
Credit Card Charge Authorization
Fax this form to the VA Department of Motor Vehicles when using a credit card to make fee payments.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review