Replacing a Lost CDL in Virginia
Through the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), you can apply for a replacement commercial driver's license in person. DO NOT operate your commercial truck or any commercial vehicle until you have a replacement in hand.
Check with local and state authorities—as well as the VA DMV—on how to report your lost CDL to help protect yourself against identity fraud.
Ways to Apply for a Duplicate CDL in VA
To replace your lost CDL in Virginia, visit your local customer service center and:
- Complete a Driver's License and Identification Card Application (Form DL 1P).
- You can complete this form at home or request one at the office.
- Provide 1 documents proving of identification.
- Provide 1 document proving legal presence.
- Provide an additional document required by the DMV of all CDL applicants.
- Be prepared to show certain CDL-related documents such as your medical card or waiver.
- Have your photo taken.
- Pay the $20 fee.
- Relinquish your license (if you're applying for a duplicate because your current license is mutilated, destroyed, or you're updating information).
Once you meet each requirement, a customer service representative will provide further instructions regarding when you'll receive your replacement CDL.
Renew Your VA CDL
If your CDL is set to expire in less than 1 year, you can renew it rather than replace it.
Refer to Renewing Your CDL in Virginia for details.
- DL 1P