Other Vehicle Registrations in Virginia

SUMMARY: How to Register a Special Vehicle Type in Virginia

In Virginia, if you want to operate your custom-built vehicle, trailer, semi-trailer, or tractor truck on the road, you MUST register it first. Other vehicles are exempt from registration, including ATVs and snowmobiles, and still others follow the same registration process as standard cars and trucks, like RVs and motorhomes.

It's common knowledge that cars and motorbikes need to be registered in Virginia, but what about other vehicles? If you own a trailer, snowmobile, or all-terrain vehicle (ATV), you may be wondering whether you need to register them or not.

Virginia Snowmobiles

Virginia's Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is more lenient than most other state DMV offices when it comes to registering off-road recreational vehicles.

According to Virginia code, you do not have to license or register your snowmobile.

All-Terrain Vehicles (ATV) in Virginia

According to Virginia code, you do not have to register or license your all-terrain vehicle (ATV).

VA Trailer Registration

Virginia's Department of Motor Vehicles gives you the convenient option of registering your trailer annually, bi-annually, or permanently. Complete a Vehicle Registration Application (Form VSA 14) and drop it off at any Virginia customer service center. Be sure to bring proof of your identity and proof of ownership (bill of sale or title). Fees are based on the weight of your trailer and your chosen registration period. The following rates all pertain to registration for 1 year:

  • 0 to 1,500 lbs.: $18.
  • 1,501 to 4,000 lbs.: $28.50.
  • 4,001 lbs. or more: $40.
  • Single-weight trailer (travel trailer for lodging purposes): $30.75.

If you opt for permanent registration the Virginia DMV will mail you a registration certificate and a license plate inscribed with the word "Permanent." Permanent registration fees are as follows:

  • 0 to 1,500 lbs.: $70.
  • 1,501 to 4,000 lbs.: $75.
  • 4,001 lbs. or more: $100.

VA Farm Vehicles

If you have a farm vehicle, you may not need to register it with the Virginia DMV, depending on what it's used for. For a list of exempt farm vehicles, visit the VA DMV website.

If you choose to register your farm vehicle, you will be permitted to use the vehicle to transport:

  • Agricultural products to your sales points (e.g. markets, stores).
  • Any materials, tools, and other equipment that you need for your farm.
  • Any materials you need to run your farm.
  • Forest products that have originated from the farm or are related to the everyday operation of the farm.

To register your farm vehicle, you will need to visit your local VA DMV office and provide:

  • Details about your farm, including:
    • Location.
    • Acreage.
    • Type of farm (what is produced).
  • A signed letter stating the vehicle will only be used for the authorized purposes.

For more information about registering your farm vehicle in Virginia, visit the Department of Motor Vehicles website.

Custom-Built Vehicles

If you have a custom-built vehicle, you'll need the following items to have it registered and titled in Virginia:

Take all of the above in person to the VA DMV office located at:

2300 W. Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23269

You can also mail the items above to:

Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles
ATTN: Vehicle Branding Work Center
P.O. Box 27412
Richmond, VA 23269

Visit the VA DMV website for more information.

Boat Registration in Virginia

If you own a boat in Virginia, you must register and title it with the Virginia Department of Wildlife Resources. You will need to provide different documents depending on whether your boat is:

  • New.
  • Used and has a certificate of title.
  • Used but has not been titled.
  • Used and documented with the U.S. Coast Guard.

For more information, visit our Boat Registration and Licenses in Virginia page.

Motorhomes and RV Registration

If you have a motorhome or recreational vehicle (RV) in Virginia, make sure it's registered properly first before you take it for a drive. Follow the steps outlined on our page about Registering a Car in Virginia.

Moped Registration in VA

As of 2014, mopeds must be registered in Virginia. They DO NOT have to be inspected in order to be registered.

Complete information, including the required forms, can be found on our mopeds and scooters page.

NOTE: If a moped can exceed 35 MPH, it is considered a motorcycle and must be registered as a motorcycle.


VSA 14
Vehicle Registration Application
Application for original, renewed, OR replacement Virginia registration, license plates, OR decals.
VSA 22
Application for Assigned Vehicle Identification Number
Request a vehicle identification number (VIN) from the VA Department of Motor Vehicles.
Application for Certificate of Title and Registration
Form used to apply for a title and/or register a passenger vehicle, truck, motorcycle, trailer, or motor home.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review