Online Services in Virginia
Virginia residents have numerous options when it comes to online driver and vehicle services. Typically, these are handled through the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). You can see the full list of what the state offers on the Virginia DMV website. But, there are a number of other transactions you can perform from the comfort of your own home computer with the help of private companies.
Check out the full list of online service options below to make sure you're as informed as possible when deciding how to proceed.
Virginia Vehicle Services
Driving legally in America requires a ton of paperwork—both for you and your vehicle. When it comes to making sure your car's documents are up to speed, you can turn to a number of online services, offered by the Virginia DMV and private companies.
- Renew your registration.
- Sign up for registration reminder e-mails.
- Verify your insurance.
- Print an electronic title.
- Order a replacement title.
- Calculate title and registration fees.
- Report a sold or traded vehicle.
- Purchase, deactivate, or reactivate license plates.
- Dispose of/report abandoned vehicle.
- Get a perspective purchaser inquiry (vehicle history report).
- Register your vehicle for transportation network company (TNC) use.
- Purchase auto insurance.
- If you want to drive, you'll need coverage. Luckily, buying the right policy online can be fast and easy.
- Buy motorcycle insurance.
- Insurance is compulsory for motorcycles, too. But, riders don't have any fewer options when it comes to finding the perfect plan online.
- Vehicle registration renewal.
- Using a private company can often be a fast and simple way to renew your registration quickly.
- Vehicle history report and VIN check, for:
- A private company will not only get a vehicle history report to you fast, but have the experience needed to ensure you have as much information as possible.
VA License & Personal Records
Your vehicle isn't the only thing needing up-to-date paperwork. You'll have to keep a valid license with you at all times, and to get it, you'll likely need access to personal records.
You can use the VA DMV, the Virginia Judicial System, and a number of private vendors to help you.
- Renew or replace your driver's license or state ID card.
- Check your license delivery status.
- Pay a license reinstatement fee.
- Change the address on your:
- Driver's license.
- State identification card.
- Change the name on your:
- Driver's license.
- State identification card.
- Exchange your license for a state ID card.
- Apply for a veteran's identification card.
- Request your driving record.
- Renew a disabled parking placard.
- Check disabled parking placard delivery status.
- Get court records with the VA Judicial System.
- Order your driving record.
- While the state also offers this service, a private company can be a fast and easy option, as generating your record will be their top concern.
- Get identity theft protection.
- In our digital world, your private information is increasingly vulnerable. Don't be the next victim of this fast-growing crime.
- Change your name.
- Going through most events requiring a name change is stressful enough on its own. Let someone else worry about making sure your paperwork reflects your new identity.
- Conduct a background check.
- Using state-run services to conduct a background check requires standing in long lines at government buildings. Skip all of that hassle by hiring an online vendor to cater to you from the comfort of your own home.
- Get a criminal record check.
- A process equal parts important and complicated, using an experienced company that knows how to find everything you need makes a record check simple.
- Find court records.
- Partnering with a private company will be a much faster and easier way to track down records than wading through the bureaucratic process at the state courthouse.
- Get public records.
- Just because they're public does not mean they're easy to find. A third-party vendor will know exactly where to look for the information, making sure no stone goes unturned.
- Order vital records.
- The building blocks for other forms of identification, make sure you get these documents when you need them most. An experienced business will easily be able to deliver them directly to you.
- Apply for an international driver's permit.
- Planning an overseas trip often requires juggling several major concerns at once. Give yourself a break and let a private company take care of this process.
Driver's Ed in Virginia
Whether you drive every day or it's a goal you're hoping to achieve, you can benefit from a driver's education course. You can only access these services through private companies, and there are plenty of programs to help boost your automative knowledge in Virginia, including:
- Teen online Driver's Ed courses.
- Study tools for permits and licensing, such as:
- Driver prep courses.
- Resources for commercial drivers, including:
- Motorcycle practice tests and cheat sheets.
- Mature driving courses.
- Defensive driving courses.
- Boater education.
Miscellaneous VA Services
- Add emergency contact information.
- File an odometer fraud complaint.
- File a dealer complaint.
- File a complaint against a motor carrier.
- Register as an organ donor.
- Request a DMV administrative hearing.
- Apply for a diesel vehicle fuel refund.
- Pay traffic tickets through the VA Judicial System.
- Hire a DUI attorney.
- Situations don't get more stressful than a DUI arrest. But, having an experienced lawyer by your side can help ease some of the pressure.
- Hire a traffic ticket attorney.
- Wrongfully cited? You don't have to take the charge laying down. Get the justice you deserve with a traffic ticket attorney.
- Order an expedited passport.
- Passports are one of the most important personal documents you can get, and the state treats them equally as seriously. While the scrutiny is good for security, it's bad for getting fast results. Using an experienced company to help you will get that passport in your hands much more quickly.