Voter Registration in Utah

Attention: Voter information and identification requirements may change prior to an election. Please check the Vote Utah website to make sure you have the most current information.

Registering to vote is easy and empowers you to have as much say as anyone else about your laws and leaders―countywide, statewide, and at the federal level.

When you apply for a driver license in Utah, you will be offered the opportunity to register to vote. The Utah Driver License Division (DLD) provides registration forms as a convenience for those who want to participate in the democratic process.

You can also register to vote in several other ways, including online and by mail. Read below for more information about voter registration, including forms and deadlines.

UT Voter Registration Eligibility

Most adults may vote, with these limitations:

  • You must be a U.S. citizen.
  • You must be 18 years old on or before the next election.
  • Imprisoned felons lose their right to vote.*

*When you are paroled or put on probation after a felony conviction, your voting rights are restored. You may be required to re-register to vote.

Register to Vote in Utah

You can complete your Utah voter registration online, by mail, or in person. If you are eligible to vote, your clerk will then mail you a voter registration card that tells you where your polling station is (you must vote at your assigned polling station).


You can register to vote online as long as you have a Utah driver's license or ID card. Your address must also be current and up-to-date with the DLD. If you need to update your address, see our page Changing Your Address in Utah for more information.

Visit the Online Voter Registration website. You'll need to submit your registration at least 11 days before the next election you wish to participate in.

By Mail

To register by mail, complete a State of Utah Mail-In Voter Registration Form and send it to your local county clerk's office at least 11 days before Election Day.

In Person

You can register in person at your local driver license office, and you may also do so when you're applying for or renewing your Utah driver license or ID card.

Additionally, you can register to vote at your local county clerk's office, public colleges or universities, and other approved locations. Make sure to register at least 11 days before the election in order to vote.

Just Moved?

Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.

Military & Overseas Voter Registration

If you're serving in the U.S. armed forces, or you're a Utah citizen living or working overseas, the Federal Voting Assistance Program is available to help you exercise your right to vote.

You can use the Voter Registration and Absentee Ballot Request Federal Post Card Application Form (Form 76) to:

  • Register to vote.
  • Change your voter information.
  • Request an absentee ballot.

To fill out the FPCA, you have two options:

Print and submit the form to your local county elections office by mail, e-mail, or fax.

For more information on the Federal Voting Assistance Program in Utah, please visit its website. The Utah Lieutenant Governor's office also provides access to a variety of other services that are aimed at helping military and overseas citizens with their voting needs.

Utah Online Voter Assistance Program

If your county is participating, you may be able to take advantage of Utah's online voting assistance program. This will let you receive and mark your ballot online. PLEASE NOTE that you will still have to print your ballot and submit it to your local county election office.

Absentee Registration & Voting

If you're currently out of your county or the state and aren't yet registered to vote, you can do so online or by mail. Refer to Register to Vote in Utah above for instructions.

If you ARE registered and you can't make it to the polls on Election Day, you can apply for a federal absentee ballot by completing the Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot and following the instructions on the form.

For more information about the absentee voting process, visit the state's section on absentee voting information.

Changing Your Voter Information

If you move or change your name, simply complete a new voter registration form. You may do the same if you change your party affiliation―though you do not need to declare a party affiliation in order to vote.

Visit the State Elections Office website for detailed information about registering to vote, upcoming elections, absentee ballots, and more.


Voter Registration and Absentee Ballot Request Federal Post Card Application
If you're a U.S. citizen living out of your voting jurisdiction, use this form to register to vote AND/OR request an absentee ballot.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review