Title Transfers in Utah

How to Complete a Utah Vehicle Title Transfer:
  1. Make sure the seller completes the title assignment on the title certificate, and provides you with a bill of sale and odometer disclosure (if applicable).
  2. Complete the vehicle title application form.
  3. Provide proof of vehicle safety/emissions inspection, if applicable.
  4. Submit the above with payment for titling fees and sales tax to the DMV.

Keep reading for more detailed information about title transfers in Utah.

New-to-State Title Transfers

After you have completed your move to Utah, you can transfer your out-of-state vehicle title by submitting the following to the Utah Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV):

  • The title certificate from your previous state.
    • If you are paying a car loan and have a lien hold on your car, you can use your current out-of-state registration to register your car without applying for a Utah title certificate. You may also have to provide your lender's information (name and address).
  • A completed Vehicle Application for Utah Title (Form TC-656).
  • Proof of required inspections:
    • Safety and/or emissions inspection certificate (if applicable).
    • Vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection.
  • If the car is being leased, submit the following from your lessor:
    • Power of attorney.
    • Billing statement.
    • Utah sales tax number.
  • Payment for required title fees.

Buying or Selling a Car in Utah

Buying from Dealers

Typically, when you purchase a vehicle from a dealership, your dealer will handle all title and registration paperwork. Additionally, you can expect the dealer to collect any titling fees and sales tax as part of the transaction.

Buying from a Private Seller

To complete a vehicle title transfer, after purchasing a car from a private seller, submit the following to your local Utah DMV office:

Selling a Vehicle in Utah

It is the buyer's responsibility to complete a title transfer. However, when you sell a car, you must provide the buyer with the following:

You should also keep the license plates, as well as notify the DMV in writing about the sale. Include the following in the notification:

  • The car's:
    • Make.
    • Model.
    • Year.
    • Plate number or VIN.
  • Your signature.

You can submit this notification:

  • By mail to:
    • Division of Motor Vehicles
    • MVCC Correspondence
    • P.O. Box 30412
    • Salt Lake City, UT 84130
  • By fax to: (801) 297-3570.

Transferring Non-Titled Vehicles

If you are purchasing a car for which no title is available (usually older cars), you can apply for a title by submitting the following to your local Division of Motor Vehicles office location:

  • A completed Vehicle Application for Utah Title (Form TC-656).
  • A completed Ownership Statement (Form TC-569A), which MUST INCLUDE:
    • An explanation of why the car does not have a title or current registration from a non-title state.
    • How you obtained the car.
    • The name of the person from whom you obtained the car.
    • A statement of any existing liens (if applicable).
    • A statement of any previous titles or registrations.
    • Detailed description of the vehicle's condition.
    • Any other relevant information regarding your possession of the car.
  • Bill of Sale (Form TC-843) and any other release of ownership documents.
  • Receipts for repairs (if available).
  • VIN inspection (unless the car has a current Utah registration).
  • Pictures of the exterior and interior of the car taken from all angles.

Gifted, Donated & Inherited Vehicles

The steps for completing a UT car title transfer of a gifted, donated, or inherited vehicle, may differ depending on the situation. Most are likely very similar to the process for buying or selling a Utah vehicle.

Contact the Utah DMV for specific information regarding your situation.

Removing a Lien

After you have completely paid off your car loan, your lender should release the lien on your car and send you the title certificate.

For complete details on lien releases, contact the Utah DMV.

UT Title Transfer Fees

The following are the basic Utah title transfer fees:

  • Title fee: $6.
  • Duplicate title: $6.
  • Correction or name change titling fee: $6.
  • Sales tax: Varies by city.

Duplicate Utah Titles

You can replace your lost title certificate by submitting a Vehicle Application for Utah Duplicate Title (Form TC-123), along with payment for the duplicate title fee.

You can also use the form to assign a title to a new owner.

Changing Title Information

If you need to add, remove, or change a name on your Utah title certificate, you will need to complete and submit a Vehicle Application for Utah Title (Form TC-656). Additionally, you will need to pay the vehicle titling fee.


Bill of Sale
Use the Division of Motor Vehicles' bill of sale as a proof of purchase after transferring ownership of a vehicle in UT.
Vehicle Application for Utah Title
Apply for an original, replacement, transferred, OR branded Utah title with this Division of Motor Vehicles form.
Application for Utah Duplicate Title
Request a duplicate UT vehicle title from the DMV.
Odometer Disclosure Statement
Use this Division of Motor Vehicles form to disclose the mileage on a car you're selling in Utah.
Ownership Statement
Form used to verify ownership of a vehicle if the Utah title is missing or has incorrect information.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review