Smog Check and Car Inspection in Utah

On This Page

For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.

Licensed by the
California DMV
California DMV
Online Registration Online Registration
Same Day Processing Same Day Processing
E-copy of Registration E-copy of Registration
Alternate Mailing Address Alternate Mailing Address
Phone Support Phone Support
$29 Convenience Fee Learn more below

Start Your CaReg Expedited Registration Renewal

SUMMARY: Utah Safety & Emissions Inspections

Some vehicles are required to undergo safety and/or emissions testing for registration and registration renewal. Exact times, fees, and other factors vary depending on the vehicle's location and model year. When applicable, new residents are subject to the same testing procedures, as well as an additional VIN test.

The Utah Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and Department of Public Safety (DPS) work together to govern the state's safety and emissions testing programs. Continue reading for information about required testing, fees, how to handle test failures, and more.

New Utah Residents

If you've recently moved to Utah, you must register your vehicle within 60 days of arrival.

If your vehicle qualifies, it must undergo a safety and/or emissions inspection before registration.

Additionally, all vehicles being titled and registered in Utah for the first time must undergo a vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection unless they were obtained from a Utah dealer or Utah manufacturer.

Any of the following agents can conduct a VIN inspection and complete the Certificate of Inspection (Form TC-661) for you:

  • Certified safety inspector.
  • DMV employee (out-of-state authorized agents are acceptable).
  • Approved contractor.
  • Utah peace officer (out-of-state peace officers are acceptable).
  • Licensed vehicle dealer.

Bring the completed Certificate of Inspection and any applicable safety and/or emissions certificates to your local DMV office when you title and register your vehicle.

Car Inspection Requirements and Exemptions

Utah Safety Inspections

Inspection Requirements

Unless it's exempt the following vehicles must undergo safety inspection prior to initial registration, and then per the state's updated safety inspection schedule:

  • 4 model years old.
  • 8 model years old.
  • 10 model years old and older (required annually).

You can have your vehicle inspected up to 2 months before your registration renewal deadline.

Inspection Exemptions

The following vehicles are exempt from safety inspection in Utah:

  • New vehicles with Manufacturer's States of Origin (MSOs).
  • Vehicles under 4 model years old.

Utah Emissions Inspections

Inspection Requirements

Eligible vehicles in the following Utah counties must undergo emissions inspections:

  • Davis.
  • Salt Lake.
  • Utah.
  • Weber.
  • Cache.

In Davis, Salt Lake, Utah, and Weber, vehicles:

  • Under 6 years old must undergo emissions inspections every 2 years.
    • Vehicles with even-numbered model years are tested during even-numbered years; odd-numbered model years are tested during odd-numbered years.
  • 6 years old and older (up to model year 1967) must undergo annual emissions inspections prior to registration.

In Cache, vehicles 6 years old and older are tested according to their model year:

  • Those with even-numbered model years are tested during even-numbered years.
  • Those with odd-numbered model years are tested during odd-numbered years.

Refer to the state's updated emissions inspections schedules to determine whether it's time for your vehicle's test.

Inspection Exemptions

The following vehicles are exempt from Utah emissions inspections:

  • New vehicles with Manufacturer's States of Origin (MSOs).
  • Vehicles under 2 years old.
  • Vehicles model year 1967 and older ONLY in Davis, Salt Lake, Utah, and Weber.
  • Vehicles model year 1968 and older ONLY in Cache.
  • Motorcycles.

Completing a UT Vehicle Inspection

Safety Inspections

Most repair and other service stations are equipped to conduct safety inspections.

Bring your:

  • Current vehicle registration.
  • Maximum applicable fee:
    • Motorcycles: $7
    • Cars: $15
    • Trucks: $15
    • Trailers: $15
    • Buses: $15
    • 4-wheel drive vehicles: $20
    • Split-axle vehicles: $20

Safety inspections cannot be made more than 2 months prior to registration renewal.

Once you pass, you'll receive a safety inspection certificate to present when you register or renew your registration.

Emissions Inspections

Contact your local county emissions office to locate the nearest emissions testing facility; call ahead for information on any documents you must bring (such as your vehicle registration).

Bring any required documents and the following fees*:

  • Cache: $20.
  • Weber: $30.
  • Davis, Salt Lake, and Utah: Self-regulated fees; call ahead.

* Additional emissions-related fees are due at the time of registration, too.

Emissions inspections cannot be made more than 2 months prior to registration renewal.

Failed Utah Vehicle Inspections

Safety Inspections

If your vehicle fails its Utah safety inspection, you must have it repaired and reinspected. If you have your vehicle repaired within 15 days, the inspection station must retest the vehicle for free.

If your vehicle continues to fail, contact the DPS at (801) 965-4889 to determine whether it qualifies for an exemption.

Emissions Inspections

If the emissions check results in a failing grade, you must have your vehicle repaired and retested.

If your vehicle continues to fail the emissions inspection, contact your local county emissions office to find out if your vehicle qualifies for an exemption.

Utah Vehicles Out of State

If your vehicle is outside of Utah when your registration renewal comes due, you may qualify for a temporary out-of-state exemption, OR for permission to complete an inspection within a qualifying jurisdiction and mail your proof to the Utah DMV.

To do so:

If your vehicle is not currently in a jurisdiction that provides/requires vehicle inspections, you'll need to have your car inspected upon your return to Utah.

Contact the DMV at (801) 297-7780 or (800) 368-8824 for more information on out-of-state inspection exemptions.

Please enter your ZIP code OR city and state abbreviation


Certificate Of Inspection - TC-661

Vehicle/Hull identification number (VIN/HIN) verification form for cars and vessels being registered in Utah for the first time.

Exemption of Utah Safety and Emission Requirements for Vehicles Not in Utah - TC-810

Claim exemption from Utah's required safety AND/OR emissions inspection(s) if your vehicle meets the qualifications outlined on this DMV form. BBB Business Review

Number of Organ Donors who registered through