New to Utah

SUMMARY: New Utah Residents

As a new resident of Utah, you'll need to register your car in the state, as well as obtain a UT driver's license. These tasks require a trip to your local DMV office. If you'd like to become an organ donor or be eligible to vote in Utah, you'll need to register once you become a resident.

Utah State Departments

As you establish residency in Utah, you should familiarize yourself with the main DMV-related agencies that you may have transactions with.

  • The Utah Department of Public Safety (DPS) Driver License Division handles all licensing and identification services.
  • The Utah State Tax Commission's Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) handles all vehicle-related services, such as registration and titling.

Should you choose to register to vote and participate in Utah elections, the Office of the Lieutenant Governor oversees elections in Utah.

Just Moved?

Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.

UT Driver's License/ID Card

If you have a valid driver's license from your previous state, you'll need to transfer it for a UT driver's license once you become a resident of the state. You'll need to visit your local UT DPS office in person, surrender your out-of-state driver's license, pay the fee, and provide any other required documents. You will also be required to pass the written knowledge exam.

For more information, see our guide to Applying for a New License (Drivers 18+).

NOTE: If you need a commercial driver's license (CDL), follow the instructions on our Applying for a New CDL page.

Teen Drivers

If you're a teenager, you will need to satisfy the requirements of the Utah graduated driver's licensing (GDL) program before you will be eligible for a full driver's license. Check out our section on Applying for a New License (Teen Drivers) for complete details.

Identification Cards

Plan on living in Utah, but not driving? Then you'll want to obtain a Utah identification card. In order to get one, you'll need to provide some documents and pay the required fee. We tell you everything you need to bring with you to the UT DPS office on our Identification Cards in Utah page.

Register Your Car in Utah

Once you establish residency in Utah, you'll need to register your vehicle with the Utah DMV within 60 days to avoid penalty. Our in Utah page explains this entire process in detail.

Special Vehicles

If you have a unique vehicle, such as something driven off-road, motorhomes, moped, or trailers, you'll also need to register it, but the process varies a bit. You can find more information on our Special Vehicles in Utah page.

Car Insurance Requirements

To drive your car legally in the state, you'll need to have appropriate car insurance coverage. Moving to a different state is a great time to compare policies and make sure you have the best coverage for your needs. Visit our Car Insurance center to compare quotes today!

Car Inspection Requirements

Most vehicles in Utah are required to undergo an emissions inspection; however, there are some exceptions. You can find out more about this topic on our Car Inspections in Utah page.

Organ Donor & Voter Registration

If you'd like to be a registered organ donor, you will need to register once you become a Utah resident. This applies to you even if you were registered in your previous state, as each state keeps its own registry. To learn more about organ donation or to register today, visit our Organ Donation page.

Similarly, if you would like to be able to vote in the next election, you'll need to register, even if you were a registered voter in your previous state. Make sure you register by the deadline to make sure you won't be turned away at the polling booth. Visit our Voter Registration in Utah page for instructions.

Military Members Stationed in Utah

If you're an active-duty member of the U.S. military, some of the requirements regarding driver's licensing and vehicle registration may not apply to you. You'll find some helpful information on our Drivers in the Military page.

DMV Office Locations and Resources

When you're ready to head to your local Utah Department of Public Safety (DPS) or Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office, use our handy Office Finder.

Additional Helpful Resources:

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review