Motorcycle License in Utah

Driving around the Beehive State is a beautiful experience—especially if you break away from the swarm of cars on the road to take in the vistas from on top of your motorcycle.

Of course, in order to do so, you'll need a UT motorcycle license, which you can get through the Utah Driver License Division (DLD).

New to Utah

Congratulations on your move! Utah doesn't have a specific time period by which you'll need to switch your license over, but the state makes clear that all residents must have a Utah license.

The Utah DLD considers anyone who lives in Utah for more than 6 months during any 1 calendar year to be a state resident. The sooner you transfer your out-of-state license, the better.

If you also have a motorcycle license or endorsement to transfer, you'll have to:

UT Motorcycle Endorsement Eligibility

To qualify for a motorcycle endorsement in Utah, you'll need to:

  • Be at least 16 years old.
  • Have a UT driver's license.
  • Fill out a medical questionnaire.
  • Pass a written exam and vision test.
  • Pass a motorcycle skills test.*
  • Pay the applicable fees.

Read below to find out more about completing the motorcycle endorsement process.

*NOTE: You can bypass the skills test by successfully passing a UT motorcycle rider course.

Motorcycle Permits in Utah

Before you can ride into the sunset, you'll need to learn how to ride. This is where your UT motorcycle permit comes in.

To earn one, you'll have to visit your local Driver License Division office, and:

  • Submit:
    • Your Utah driver's license.
    • 2 documents proving your residency, IF your address has changed since getting your driver's license.
  • Complete the Driver License/ID Card Application (Form DLD6a).
  • Complete a medical questionnaire.
  • Take a vision test.
  • Pass the motorcycle written exam.
  • Have your photo taken.

The Utah DLD may also charge additional fees for the written test. Ask your local DLD employees for more information.

Once all of the above is complete, you'll get your motorcycle permit. Time to start practicing!

Permit Limitations

Securing your motorcycle permit is exciting and important, but don't forget this new freedom comes with responsibilities.

While practicing with your Utah motorcycle permit, you will NOT be allowed to:

  • Carry any passengers.
  • Ride between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m.
  • Ride on highways with speed limits higher than 60 MPH.
    • Rule only in effect for initial 2 months of holding your permit.

Your permit will be valid for 6 months. All of the above restrictions will be lifted after you've held your permit for 2 months.

If you're under 19 years old, you'll be required to hold your motorcycle permit for at least 2 months before you can take a skills test. However, this requirement will also be waived if you complete a Utah motorcycle rider course.

UT Motorcycle Skills Test & Endorsement

Only one step stands between you and your motorcycle endorsement: the skills test.

Remember: this step can be skipped if you successfully pass a UT motorcycle rider course.

If you choose to take the DLD route, you'll have to schedule an appointment with the same Driver License Division office where you took your written test, and:

  • Bring your:
    • Utah driver's license.
    • Motorcycle permit.
  • Successfully complete the skills test.
  • Pay the $18 motorcycle endorsement fee.

Since a motorcycle endorsement will be added to your UT driver's license, you'll also have to fill out the Driver License/ID Card Application (Form DLD6a) to either:

  • Renew your license to add the endorsement.
    • Do this if your current license will expire in 6 months or less.
    • Renewal fee is $25.
  • Order a duplicate license to add the endorsement.
    • Use this method if your current license expiration date is more than 6 months away.
    • Duplicate fee is $23.

The UT DLD will mail your new license, complete with motorcycle endorsement, within 6 weeks. Congratulations!

Utah Motorcycle Rider Courses

There are several ways to earn your Utah motorcycle license. If you want to skip out on the DLD skills test, you can enroll in a UT motorcycle rider course.

You'll have to call a state-approved motorcycle school to find out more information on:

  • Age requirements.
  • Course prices.
  • Registration process.

If you pass, you'll be issued a skills test waiver card. Don't lose it! You'll need to bring it to your local DLD office in order to get your motorcycle endorsement.

However, completing the course will NOT exempt you from taking the Utah motorcycle written test and completing the endorsement application process.

Utah Motorcycle Endorsement Fees

The Utah Driver License Division charges the following for motorcycle endorsements and related fees:

  • Motorcycle endorsement: $18.
  • License renewal (to add endorsement): $52.
    • Use this method if your current license expires 6 months or less.
  • Duplicate license (to add endorsement): $23.
    • Use this method if your current license expires in more than 6 months.

The DLD may charge additional fees for:

  • Motorcycle knowledge test.
  • Motorcycle skills test.

Make sure to ask your local DLD office for more fee information.


Application For License
Utah Driver License Division application for a regular, motorcycle, OR commercial permit OR license. Can also be used to apply for a UT identification card.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review