Name Change in Utah

SUMMARY: How to Change Your Name in Utah

If you've recently changed your name—whether due to marriage, divorce, or court order—you'll need to update your details with the Utah Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and the Department of Public Safety (DPS) Driver License Division. Additionally, you'll need to change your name with the Social Security Administration (SSA) as well as obtain a new driver’s license and vehicle documents.

Change Your Name with the SSA

Before you change your name on your driver's license and vehicle documents, first update your name with the Social Security Administration (SSA). The DMV and DPS may check that your records are up-to-date with the SSA before they will issue you new documents.

Your name change must be completed either by mail or in person. You cannot change your name with the SSA online.

You will need:

Submit the above documents either in person or by mail to your local Social Security office.

Once processed, the SSA will mail you an updated Social Security card showing your new name. Your Social Security number (SSN) will remain the same.

UT Driver's License/ID Card Name Change

To change your name on your driver's license or ID card, you'll need to visit your local Utah DPS Driver License Division office in person.

You will need to present proof of your name change, such as your:

  • Marriage certificate.
  • Divorce decree.
  • Court order.

You will then need to obtain an updated driver's license/ID card. You can do this either by renewing or applying for a duplicate card. For complete instructions, visit our following pages:

NOTE: You can only renew your UT driver's license up to 6 months before it expires. If the expiration date is more than 6 months away, you will need to apply for a duplicate.

The UT DPS will issue you a temporary driver's license/ID card to use until your permanent card arrives in the mail in about 8 weeks.

Name Change on Car Title & Registration

To change your name on your car certificate of title and registration, you will need to visit a Utah DMV office in person. You will need to:

  • Surrender your existing title certificate.
  • Submit a completed Vehicle Application for Utah Title (Form TC-656).
  • Pay the $6 duplicate title fee.
  • Pay the $4 duplicate registration fee, if applicable.

NOTE: If you have a lien on your vehicle, you will need to have the lien holder send the certificate of title to the UT DMV.

Fees to Change Your Name in Utah

When you change your name in Utah, you may need to pay the following fees for replacement documents:

  • Driver's license renewal: $32.
  • Duplicate driver's license: $23.
  • Duplicate title certificate: $6.
  • Duplicate registration: $4.

Accepted Payment Methods

When changing your name on your driver's license or ID card, the Utah DPS accepts payment by:

  • Cash.
  • Check.
  • Money order.
  • Credit/debit cards.

Contact the UT DMV directly for accepted payment methods when changing your name on your vehicle title and registration.

Change Your Address in Utah

If you've also changed your address in Utah, you'll need to notify the DPS within 10 days of your move. You will also need to notify the Utah DMV in order to update your address on your vehicle registration.

For instructions and more information, visit our page on Changing Your Address in Utah.


Vehicle Application for Utah Title
Apply for an original, replacement, transferred, OR branded Utah title with this Division of Motor Vehicles form.
Application for a Social Security Card
Order a new, replacement, OR corrected Social Security card.

Related Products and Services

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review

Number of Organ Donors who registered through DMV.ORG