Buying and Selling FAQs in Utah

What is a bill of sale?

It's a written document that helps provide proof of transfer of ownership of personal property, such as a car. It contains important information, including the purchase price of the vehicle, the sale date, a description of the vehicle, and the names of the buyer and seller.

Where can I get a blank bill of sale?

Glad you asked. We provide a generic bill of sale, and the state has its own Bill of Sale (Form TC-843).

I'm selling my vehicle. Do the plates stay with me or the vehicle?

The plates stay with you, so remove them from the vehicle.

I'm selling my vehicle. Do I need to worry about the sales tax?

Absolutely not. The tax is collected from the buyer at a Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office.

I'm buying a vehicle from a private seller. How long does the seller have to hand over the title?

Legally, 48 hours. But from a practical sense, the title should be given to you at the time of the sale. You might be setting yourself up for a headache if you don't obtain the title at that point.

I just sold my vehicle to a private buyer. Should I let the DMV know this?

Yes. You should write a note which includes the vehicle model, year, and plate or vehicle identification number. Be sure to sign the note. Then, send it to:

  • Division of Motor Vehicles
  • MVCC Correspondence
  • P.O. Box 30412
  • Salt Lake City, UT 84130

You may also fax it to (801) 297-3570.

How much does it cost to register and get plates for my new vehicle?

That's a good question, but there isn't a simple answer. These fees vary depending on your type of vehicle, where you live, and other factors.

I just bought a car from a private seller. How do I get a temporary permit?

Just go to a DMV with your title, proof of insurance, and photo identification. The permit is valid during the time it takes to title and register your vehicle, and costs $6.

I'm having all sorts of problems with my new car. Where I can find out more about Utah's Lemon Law?

We cover this subject in our Lemon Law section.

I have a complaint about a dealer. What should I do?

If you can't resolve the issue with the dealer, you may contact the Motor Vehicle Enforcement Division at (801) 297-2600.

If you prefer putting the complaint in writing, send the letter to:

  • Motor Vehicle Enforcement Division
  • Utah State Tax Commission
  • 210 N. 1950 W
  • Salt Lake City, UT 84134

The division also handles cases of motor vehicle fraud.

Where can I find more information about registering and titling cars?

An excellent place to start is by looking at our registration and titling sections.


Bill of Sale
Use the Division of Motor Vehicles' bill of sale as a proof of purchase after transferring ownership of a vehicle in UT.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review