Accident Guide in Utah

Following the Accident

After the accident, immediately stop your vehicle. If possible, pull it off the road.

If someone is injured, you must try to obtain help, and stay on the scene until help arrives. Or, you can take the injured to receive medical treatment. However, don't move someone who is seriously injured, unless it's to avoid even more injury.

Accidents involving injury, death, or property damage of over $1,500 mean that you must contact law enforcement as soon as possible. If you're unable to do so, but you have a passenger who is capable of completing this duty, then it's up to the passenger to contact law enforcement.

Give your name and address to the others involved in the accident, as well as the registration number of the vehicle you were driving. Also provide the insurance information for the vehicle, including the phone number of either the carrier or the agent.

If requested, you must show your driver's license, too.

In cases where law enforcement is called, you have the option of only providing the required information to the investigating officer, and not directly sharing the information with the others in the accident.

Accident Report

If you're injured and unable to complete the report, you're allowed to postpone the task until you're capable of doing so. Or, if you weren't the owner of the vehicle you were driving, the owner may file the report for you.

Accidents with Unoccupied Vehicles

You're backing out of a parking space. You swear you have enough room to safely maneuver your vehicle free. But, that annoying astigmatism of yours gets in the way, and you end up putting a dent into the front fender of some poor soul's vehicle.

What should you do?

For this and all other accidents involving an unoccupied vehicle or damage to a person's property (other than a vehicle), you must make a reasonable attempt to find the owner. If this fails, attach a note securely to the damaged property. List your name and address, as well as the registration number of the vehicle you're driving. Make sure to write legibly.

It's also a good idea to call the local police and make a report of the incident. That way there's a record that you were a good citizen, if your note blows free and the other party reports it as a hit-and-run.


The state is serious about following the proper procedures following an accident. Failing to stop and remain at the scene of the accident, or to comply with other accident procedures, could result in losing your driving privileges for a year, as well as jail time and fines.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review