Replacing a Lost License in Texas

Replacing Your Lost Driver's License in Texas

If your TX license or ID has been lost, stolen, or destroyed, you need to act quickly to get it replaced. You should also consider reporting it to prevent identity theft.

NOTE: When you replace a lost, damaged, or stolen license, your expiration date does not change.

Report a Lost or Stolen TX Driver's License

The first thing you should do to remedy a missing driving license is report it to the police. Doing so is the initial step in protecting your identity.

Reporting a missing drivers license is especially important if it has been stolen. In fact, the TX Department of Public Safety (DPS) requires Texas residents to report their lost driver's license to the police IF they know that it has been stolen and used by somebody else.

Requests for a New Texas Driver's License or ID Number

To further protect your identity, instead of simply replacing your lost drivers license, you can request a new Texas drivers license or ID number by:

  • Visiting your local driver license office.
  • Taking the steps to apply for a replacement license (see below).
  • Submitting a copy of your police report.

Whether a new number will be provided is up to the TX Department of Public Safety.

Apply for a Replacement Driver's License

REAL IDs and License Replacements

If you plan to upgrade to a Texas REAL ID upon replacement, you'll need to follow the steps for a first-time REAL ID application. Jump over to our license guide for help.

The DPS requires that you apply for a replacement (duplicate) driver's license in person, unless you are currently traveling out of state or are stationed outside of TX as a member of the military (see “Out-of-State & Military License Replacement" below).

To apply in person, you must:

  • Visit your local Driver License Office.
  • Submit a completed Application for Texas Driver License or Identification Card Form Online (Form DL-14A).
  • Bring acceptable proof of ID, which could include:
    • 1 primary document (e.g. passport, military ID, etc.).
    • 2 secondary forms of ID (e.g. birth certificate).
    • 1 secondary form of ID AND 2 supporting documents (e.g. Social Security card, voter registration card, 1099, etc.).
  • Pay the $11 fee (cash, check. money order, or major credit card).

NOTE: You'll also be asked to verify key personal information such as your birth date or Social Security number. IF your SSN isn't on record with the DPS, you'll need to provide proof of the SSN. The DPS provides a full list of acceptable documents to confirm your SSN.

Documents verifying your SSN are mandatory for driver's licenses but not for ID cards.

Additional ID Requirements for Non-U.S. Citizens

If you are not a U.S. citizen, you'll also need to bring the following with you:

  • One document that provides proof of your legal presence in the U.S. Examples include:
    • Valid Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551).
    • Valid foreign passport with attached temporary I-551 (immigrant visa that has an ADIT stamp).

Out-of-State and Military License Replacement

If your permanent residence is in Texas but you're temporarily out of the state (e.g., traveling abroad, stationed out-of-state as a military member, etc.), you can request a duplicate drivers license to be mailed to your current out-of-state address.

To apply for a replacement Texas driver's license or ID from out of state:

  • Download an Out of State or Out of Country packet.
  • Complete the Out-of-State or Out-of-Country Packet (Form DL-16P).
    • In the address field, write your permanent TX address.
    • In the mailing address field, write your current out-of-state address.
  • Write a check or money order for $11 and make it payable to Texas DPS.
  • If you haven't already, send photocopies of documents that provide proof of your Social Security number.
  • Mail everything to:

Texas Department of Public Safety
P.O. Box 149008
Austin, TX 78714

Once the DPS receives your request, your license will be mailed to you within 45 days.


Out of State or Out of Country Renewal/Replacement/Change of Texas Driver License or Identification (DL/ID) Card
Submit this form to the Texas DPS if you're eligible to renew your TX driver's license OR identification card while residing out of the state or country.
Application for Texas Driver License or Identification Card
Application for a Texas driver's license OR identification card.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review