Learner's Permit Checklist in Texas
Online Driver's Ed for $49.00
Our course helps you learn quickly and easily, using state-specific questions and easy-to-understand answers.
- Approved by the California DMV
- Save 80% off traditional drivers ed
- Take Drivers Ed with our mobile app
- 99.5% student pass rate on the DMV exam
How to Get Your Texas Learner's Permit
- Be at least 15 years old
- Complete the classroom portion of Driver's Ed
- Complete a practice test (optional)**
- Make an appointment with your local TX DMV office
** Are You Ready for the Written Exam?
You may think you've studied enough for your permit, but have you really? Without sufficient practice, 70% of applicants fail their first exam attempt.
Don't leave it to chance. Ensure your success by taking a TX permit practice test.
Bring to the Texas DMV:
- Proof of identity*; either:
- 1 document from the Primary list
- 2 documents from the Secondary list
- 1 document from the Secondary list and 2 documents from the Supporting list
- Proof of your Social Security number (e.g. Social Security card)
- Proof of Texas residency*
- A completed Verification of Enrollment and Attendance form
- A completed Application for Texas Driver License or Identification Card (Form DL-14A)
- Proof of completion* for your classroom portion of Driver's Ed
- Provided by your instructor OR included in the parent-taught driver education packet
- Payment for the $16 permit fee
*See below for a list of acceptable documents
At the DMV...
- Submit the required documents listed above
- Pass your written knowledge exam
- Pass a vision test
- Pay the $16 permit fee
List of Acceptable Documents
Proof of Identity
Primary Proof of Identity
- Unexpired U.S. passport or passport card
- Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of Citizenship
- U.S. Citizen Identification Card ( I-179 or I-197)
- Permanent Resident Card ( I-551)
Secondary Proof of Identity
- Original or certified U.S. birth certificate
- Consular Report of Birth ( FS-240)
- Court order certifying a name or gender change
Supporting Proof of Identity
- Social Security card
- Voter registration card
- School records, report cards, or transcripts
- Form W-2 or 1099
- Immunization records
- Tribal membership card
Proof of Residency
- Current school report card or transcript
- Medical or health insurance card
- Rental or mortgage bill or agreement*
- Vehicle or boat registration or title*
- Current Texas voter registration card*
- Homeowners or renters insurance policy*
- W-2 or 1099 form
- Current mail from a financial or banking institution
- Current mail from a state, city, or federal agency
* Your parents may bring these items as proof of your family's residency
Proof of Driver Education Completion
- Texas Driver Education Certificate (Form DE-964)
- Classroom Instruction Driver Education Affidavit (Form DL-90A)
- Texas Driver Education Certificate (Form DE-964E)
For a complete list, please visit the Texas Department of Public Safety website.
Consular Report of Birth Abroad - FS-240
Proof of identity document for U.S. citizens born abroad. Must request from the U.S. Department of State. Not available online.
Permanent Resident Card - I-551
Form used in conjunction with your visa to establish temporary OR permanent residence in the U.S. Only available from the United States Citizen and Immigration Services. Not available online.
|U.S. Citizen Identification Card - I-179 or I-197|
Driver Education Certificate - DE-964
Submit this certificate to DPS after completing an approved teen driver education course as part of applying for your Texas driver's license. Must be obtained from your driver education provider. Not available online.
Application for Texas Driver License or Identification Card - DL-14A
Application for a Texas driver's license OR identification card.