Disability Plates and Placards in Texas

Texas Drivers with Disabilities

People with disabilities can apply for a variety of parking permits from the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

Drivers with disabilities and disabled veterans can request handicap Texas license plates, and any person with a qualifying disability can apply for a parking placard.

Read below for placard and plate information, application requirements, and other topics related to drivers with disabilities in Texas.

Types of Texas Disabled Placards

The Texas DMV issues various placards and license plates for people with disabilities:

  • Placards:
    • Blue placard for people with permanent disabilities.
    • Red placard for people with temporary disabilities.
  • License plates:
    • International Symbol of Access (ISA) license plate for anyone with a permanent disability.
    • Disabled Veteran (DV) license plate for qualified disabled military veterans.

All disabled placards and license plates allow you to:

  • Park in spaces designated for people with disabilities.
  • Park for free in metered spaces.

Out-of-State Parking Placards

Parking placards and license plates from other states or countries can be used in Texas as long as:

  • The placard and/or license plate is valid.
  • You use your handicapped parking permit in accordance with Texas law.

You can apply for a temporary placard valid for up to 6 months if you:

  • Have a permanent disability.
  • Are in Texas for medical treatment.

Applying for a TX Disabled Placard or Plate

You can apply for a disabled parking placard from your local Texas tax collector's office. Applications are accepted:

  • By mail.
  • In person.

To apply for any placard or an ISA license plate, you will need:

  • The Application for Persons with Disabilities Parking Placard and/or License Plate (Form VTR-214).
  • Medical certification on the application form, signed by any of the following:
    • Physician.
    • Podiatrist.
    • Optometrist.
    • Physician's assistant.
    • Advanced practice nurse.
    NOTE: The medical professional must be licensed in Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, or New Mexico, OR work for the U.S. military or Veterans Affairs.
  • A check, cashier's check, or money order for applicable fees found on the form
  • Disability license plates (ISA and DV): Fees vary by county.
  • A form of identification:
    • By mail: A copy of your driver's license or ID card.
    • In person: Take your TX driver's license or ID card with you.

Take or send all of your application materials to your local Texas county tax office.

NOTE: Make sure you keep a copy of your original application because it may be needed to renew or replace your disabled parking permit.

Disabled Veteran Plate Application

You can apply for disabled veteran (DV) plates IF:

  • You are a veteran with a disability related to military service.
  • You own, co-own, or lease your vehicle.

To apply for a DV license plate, you must submit the following by mail or in person to your local Texas DMV office:

  • A completed Application for Disabled Veteran License Plates and Parking Placards (Form VTR-615).
  • Proof of eligibility, either:
    • On the application.
    • In a letter from Veterans Affairs.
  • Payment for the fee stated on the form, paid by check or money order.
    • Personalized plates are available for an additional fee.
  • A copy of your lease documents IF your vehicle is leased.

Renewing Placards & Plates in TX

When your Texas handicap parking permit expires, you will need to renew it.

Expiration dates differ depending on the type of permit you have:

  • Permanent placards: 4 years.
  • Temporary placards: Up to 6 months.
  • License plates: no renewal required for a permanent disability.

Disability Placard Renewal

To renew a permanent placard, submit the following by mail or in person to the Texas DMV:

For expiring temporary placards, you must reapply by submitting:

License Plate Renewal

To renew a disability license plate, you must renew your vehicle registration with the TX DMV.

Replacing a Placard for Disability Parking

You can request a replacement for a lost, stolen, or damaged Texas disability placard by submitting a copy of your original placard application to your local Texas tax office.

If you DO NOT have a copy of the original application:

  • The tax office may be able to look up your information.
  • You may have to reapply for a placard. See “Applying for a TX Disabled Placard" above for requirements.

Contact the Texas DMV for replacement fees.

For information about replacing license plates, see our Replacing a Lost Registration in Texas page.

Placards Confiscated by Law Enforcement

If your disabled parking placard was taken by a law enforcement officer as a result of misuse, you must request a hearing to determine if you are eligible for a replacement.

Contact the TX DMV at (888)368-4689 ((888) DMV-GOTX) for more information.


Application for Persons with Disabilities Parking Placard and/or License Plate
Use this form to apply for disability parking placards AND/OR license plates. Must be downloaded from the Texas DMV's disabled parking placards webpage.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review