Applying for Special Plates in Texas
For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.
Licensed by the
|Online Registration||Online Registration|
|Same Day Processing||Same Day Processing|
|E-copy of Registration||E-copy of Registration|
|Alternate Mailing Address||Alternate Mailing Address|
|Phone Support||Phone Support|
|$29 Convenience Fee||Learn more below|
Drivers may apply for a number of specialty plates in Texas online, in person, or by mail (depending on the plate), and may personalize most plate types. Certain plate numbers/messages are available for auction from My Plates. When it's time to renew your specialty plates, you'll get a reminder from the DMV. You can also get a replacement for lost or stolen plates. You may transfer a specialty plate to another vehicle you own. Fees for these plates vary by plate type.
The Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) offers a large variety of specialty license plates, as well as souvenir plates, disability plates, military plates, and specialty plates for auction.
- Head over to Disability Plates and Placards for information about Texas handicapped license plates.
- Visit our guide to the Types of Special Plates in Texas for a list of what you can order.
Applying for Specialty Plates in Texas
In Texas, you may choose from many types of specialty plates. Depending on the plate you choose, you may order your plate:
- By mail.
- In person.
NOTE: Once you submit an application or a specialty plate, the plate fees are non-refundable, as they are custom made to order.
Certain specialty plates are available online through MyPlates.com (the state's specialty plate vendor) or Texas.gov. Generally, plates available for order online include those that do not have any eligibility requirements.
To check if you can submit your plate online:
- See the TX DMV's list of specialty plates.
- Find and click on the plate you want.
- Click the “Order" button at the top right.
If you click “Order" and it takes you to either MyPlates or Texas.gov, you may order online. If not, you'll be provided the appropriate application to order by mail or in person (see below).
Once you get to the online ordering system, follow the steps to order your plate. You will need a major credit card to complete your transaction.
You may also be able to personalize your plate choice online, so have your desired message ready when you order if personalizing.
By Mail or In Person
Many plates, such as those with eligibility requirements (including military and veteran plates), must be ordered by mail or in person. To see the application steps:
- Click on your plate in the list of specialty plates.
- Check the eligibility requirements.
- See the requirements in “How to Apply".
- Click the “Order" button at the top right to get your application.
- NOTE: If you click “Order" and are taken to MyPlates or Texas.gov, you can order online (see above).
Once you've determined your eligibility for the plate and retrieved your application:
- Complete the application.
- Forms vary among plate types.
- Gather any required proof of eligibility (if applicable).
- Submit the application with any required fees to the address on the application.
For any questions on plates, contact your local county tax assessor-collector's office.
Personalized Plates in TX
Many TX specialty plates are available for personalization, and a large variety of plates may be ordered and personalized online. If the plate requires application by mail or in person, you'll fill in the personalization section of the appropriate application.
Additional fees will apply when personalizing your plate.
NOTE: Certain plates may not be eligible for personalization. Check your plate and application.
TX Souvenir Plates
A large portion of the specialty plates available in TX may be purchased as souvenir plates.
Souvenir plates are decorative only and do not function as regular plates, meaning they are not street legal.
To apply for a souvenir plate:
- Complete the Souvenir License Plate Order Form (VTR-998).
- Send the application form and fee to:
Vehicle Titles and Registration
4000 Jackson Ave
Austin, TX 78731
Fees are as follows:
- Souvenir plate: $20.
- Personalization: Additional $20.
The TX DMV allows the state license plate vendor, My Plates, to sell plate numbers for auction.
Transfer of Auction Plates
Texas auction plates, unlike other specialty plates, may be transferred to another vehicle by sale, gift, or inheritance. The buyer will have access to the plate for the REMAINDER of the term.
The seller must get replacement plates for their new car and a new registration sticker.
The buyer must:
- Complete the Auction License Plate Number Transfer (Form VTR-900).
- Go to their local county tax office (if using the plates on a vehicle).
To learn more about plate auctions, visit the TX DMV website.
Renewing Specialty Plates in TX
TX specialty plates are issued terms of on the following terms:
- 1 year.
- 5 years.
- 10 years.
Before your plate is due to expire, your registration renewal notice will let you know that it's time for you to renew your plate. If you neglect to renew it within 60 days of the expiration date, the Department of Motor Vehicles will cancel your specialty plate.
To learn about renewing your registration in Texas, visit our Registration Renewal page.
Replacing & Transferring Specialty Plates
Replace a Texas Special Plate
If your license plate gets lost, stolen, or damaged, you may apply for a replacement plate and/or sticker. To do so:
- Complete the Application for Replacement License Plate(s), and/or Vehicle Registration Sticker (Form VTR-60).
- Pay the $6 fee (+ $0.50 automation fee).
- Note that specialty plate fees may apply.
- Submit the above to your local county tax assessor-collector's office.
Transfer a Texas Special Plate
If you sell your vehicle in TX, you may transfer your plates to your new vehicle IF:
- You own both vehicles.
- Your license plates do not need to be replaced.
For details on transferring Texas license plates, visit our License Plates and Placards page.
TX Specialty Plate Fees
Fees for specialty plates vary depending on the plate you choose.
To find your plate fee, visit the TX DMV's list of specialty license plates. Click on your plate and see the “Plate Fee" section.
Auction License Plate Number Transfer - VTR-900
Use this form to transfer auction license plates to your current registration. Must be downloaded from the Texas Department of Motor Vehicle's specialty license plate auctions webpage.
Souvenir License Plate Order Form - VTR-998
Use this form to order Texas souvenir license plates from the DMV. Souvenir plates are not street legal. Form must be downloaded from the DMV's souvenir license plates page.
Application for Replacement License Plates and/or Vehicle Registration Sticker - VTR-60
Form used to request replacement license plates AND/OR registration stickers from the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles.