Replacing a Lost Registration in Tennessee
Don’t get a citation for driving without a registration card: if you lost or damaged your registration, make sure you request a duplicate through the Tennessee Department of Revenue (DOR) as soon as possible.
We’re here to help you through the steps—keep reading for the forms, fees, and info you’ll need.
Duplicate TN Registration
The Tennessee DOR allows you to request a duplicate registration certificate either:
- In person at your county clerk’s office.
- By mail.
Need help finding your VIN?
You can locate your vehicle identification number:
- Where the driver’s door latches to the vehicle when closed.
- On your title.
- On the driver’s side dashboard near the windshield.
For either option, you’re asked to provide your:
- Vehicle identification number (VIN).
- Plate number.
- Payment for the $3 duplicate registration fee.
- There is an extra $.50 fee if it requires certification.
Gather the above items, and either bring or mail them to your local county clerk’s office.
Replacing Tennessee Plates & Decals
If you need to replace your lost or damaged TN license plate and/or sticker, you can do so in person at your local county clerk’s office. You'll need to have your signature notarized, so visit a notary BEFORE visiting your county clerk.
If your plate and/or decal was lost or stolen, you MUST FIRST file a police report before you’ll be able to receive a replacement.
Visit your local county clerk and provide your:
- Proof of identification.
- Completed and notarized Application for Duplicate/Replacement License Plate or Decal (Form RV-F1315301).
- Include the name and badge number of the law enforcement officer to whom you reported your lost or stolen items, if applicable.
- Plates to surrender (if available).
- Current registration.
- Payment for the replacement plate or sticker fee.
- Fees vary based on your plate type and county. Contact your county clerk’s office for specific fee information.
If you wish to keep track of the replacement process, you can call the title and registration information number at (888) 871-3171. If you have any questions about the replacement application or duplicates in general, please contact theTennessee Department of Revenue (DOR).