Replacing a Lost License in Tennessee
LifeLock Identity Protection starting at $9.99/mo
Our proprietary technology alerts you to a wide range of identity threats.
- SSN and Credit Alerts†
- Bank & Credit Card Activity Alerts†
- Alerts on Crimes in Your Name
- 10% Off Your First Year
No one can prevent all identity theft. † LifeLock does not monitor all transactions at all businesses. Terms and applicable taxes apply.
Replacing a Lost Driver's License in Tennessee
If you've lost your Tennessee driver's license, permit, or identification (ID) card, replace it as soon as possible.
Fortunately, the Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security (DOS) makes replacing a TN license or ID easy, whether you're in or out of state.
Report a Lost or Stolen TN License, Permit, or ID
Your Tennessee driver's license or ID is accepted nationwide as proof of identity, so if the wrong person gets their hands on it, your identity could be jeopardized.
Reporting your lost or stolen license is a big step toward protecting your identity. Consider filing a report with the law enforcement agency in the area where the loss or theft occurred, as well as with your own local agency (if different).
Learn more tips to protect yourself at our section on preventing identity theft.
How to Replace a Lost or Stolen TN Driver's License
You can apply for a replacement TN driver's license or ID in person or online.
You must apply for a replacement learner's permit, temporary license, or commercial driver's license (CDL) in person.
NOTE: If you're within 12 months of expiration, you can renew your license instead of replacing it; if you're within 6 months of expiration, you must renew instead of replace. Learn more at our Renewing Your License in Tennessee section.
Replace License In Person
To apply in person:
- Visit your local DOS office.
- Provide a primary and secondary proof of identification. The TN DOS provides a complete list of acceptable documents, but examples include:
- Primary: Original or certified birth certificate*, U.S. passport, or military ID.
- Secondary: Social Security card, computerized paycheck stub, health insurance card, school records, or state tax forms.
- Changes: You must provide proof of name, date of birth, or gender changes. Examples include:
- Marriage certificates, divorce decrees, and other court documents noting dates of birth and gender changes are best for these purposes.
- Have your photo taken. This will appear on both your temporary permit and your permanent replacement license.
- Pay the applicable fee. (Acceptable payment methods can vary by office, so call ahead*):
- 1st replacement: $8.
- Subsequent replacements: $12.
* Birth certificates from Puerto Rico issued prior to July 1, 2010 cannot be used as primary or secondary form of identification. Detailed information on obtaining a new birth certificate is available from the government of Puerto Rico.
If your birth certificate is not in English, it must be translated and you must show a Certificate of Accurate Translation.
NOTE: Fees might vary for temporary driver licenses and ID cards. Call your local DOS office before heading out.
Once you meet all of the requirements, you'll receive a temporary license immediately; your permanent duplicate license will arrive in the mail.
Replace License Online
As mentioned above, only drivers with regular driver licenses and ID cards can apply for duplicates online, but you must also meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Your license or ID cannot be suspended, revoked, or canceled.
- Your last license or ID must have had a digitalized photo and signature.
To apply online, visit Tennessee's Order a Duplicate License Online page and provide the following:
- Your TN driver's license or ID card number.
- Your TN address.
- The last 4 digits of your Social Security number.
- A VISA, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express credit or check card.
The system will walk you through the ordering process. Once you're finished, you'll print the confirmation page to use as a temporary license. This temporary license will remain valid for 20 days from the date of the transaction.
Expect to receive your permanent duplicate within 20 business days.
Temporary Licenses and ID Cards
If you need a replacement temporary license or ID, you might need to provide the same kinds of proofs you provided when you applied:
- 2 documents proving your identity. Choose documents from the state's identity list. Examples include:
- Certificate of Naturalization, a Certificate of Citizenship, or an Employment Authorization Card.
- You must provide proof of legal name change IF your current name doesn't match the name on your identity documents.
- 2 documents proving your residency. Choose documents from the state's residency list, such as a:
- Current utility bill, bank statement, paycheck stub, or rental/lease agreement.
- Proof of Social Security number OR a sworn affidavit if you don't have an SSN issued.
Out-of-State or Military License Replacement
If you're out of state for work, travel, or military assignment, you can apply for a replacement license either online or by mail.
You can apply for a duplicate online. You will follow the same instructions provided above.
Note that you must enter your current out-of-state address when asked where to send your duplicate.
Please call (615) 253-5221 if you have any questions about military replacements.
Replacing a Lost or Stolen CDL in TN
Commercial drivers must apply in person for duplicate commercial driver licenses (CDLs).
In addition to the same identity proofs as listed above, you must also show:
- Proof of residency.
- Your DOT medical card.
Duplicate CDLs cost:
- Replacement: $12.
- Subsequent replacements: $16.