Moving Out of State in Tennessee

Permanent Moves

Those leaving the Volunteer State on a permanent basis should be sure to alert their vehicle insurance company about the move.

You're not required to surrender your license plates or registration. Once you've received plates from your new state, you may keep your Tennessee plates or simply destroy them. Registration refunds are normally not issued.

Additionally, when you receive a license from your new state, that state will alert the Department of Safety (DOS) about the change, thus effectively canceling your Tennessee license.

Just Moved?

Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.

Temporary Moves

Those leaving the state on a temporary basis must notify the DOS of the change of address within 10 days of the move.

You may do so online, or by completing a change of address form at a driver license station.

Drivers may also accomplish this task by sending a letter containing their name, old and new addresses, date of birth, and driver's license number to:

  • Department of Safety
  • 1150 Foster Ave
  • Nashville, TN 37202

Or, send that information in an e-mail to

Changing your address with the DOS won't result in a new license or a sticker being issued. If you opt to receive a license with your new, temporary address, you'll need to apply for a duplicate license.

Also, be sure to notify your vehicle insurance company of your new address.

Preparing for the Move

Make matters easy for yourself. Before your move, visit our New to Your State? section, which gives an overview of driving-related tasks that should be tackled immediately after you settle into your new home.

Military Information

Those in the military who will be temporarily living outside of Tennessee should check out our Drivers in the Military section for important registration and license information.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review