Organ Donation in Tennessee
Organ Donation in Tennessee
The Tennessee Donor Registry, also known as Donate Life, is the official organization for registering to be a donor. As the official organ and tissue donor registry in Tennessee, the organization is committed to healing and saving the lives of TN residents who are in need of organ or tissue transplants.
Did you know an organ and tissue donor in Tennessee could save as many as 8 lives and improve the quality of life for 50 people?
Sign up today to give the gift of life.
Registering as an Organ Donor in TN
There are no fees to be an organ donor in Tennessee.
You can register either online or in person at your local TN DMV office.
To register as an organ and tissue donor in Tennessee, you will need to meet certain criteria:
- If you are 18 years old or older, you can use the online Donate Life Tennessee registration form to give your consent to become a tissue and organ donor in Tennessee. You can choose to donate all your organs and tissues or just specific organs and tissues.
- If you are 13 years old to 17 years old, you can register as an organ donor if you have a Tennessee ID card, driver's license, or learner's permit. However, your parents or legal guardians will make the final decision about your donation at the appropriate time.
To register as an organ donor online, visit:
- The Donate Life website and fill out the online form.
- ORGANIZE.org to both register in Tennessee and have your intentions recorded in a nationwide database.
You can also modify your information and donation specifications by updating your profile online.
Register In Person
You can also register in person at your nearest TN driver's license station when you apply for or renew your driver's license, permit, or state ID card.
By checking the box, " Yes, I want to be an organ and tissue donor" on your application/renewal form, you automatically be added to the Donate Life program for organ and tissue donation in Tennessee. You must check this box each time you renew or make changes to your identification card or driver's license, otherwise, you will be removed from the Donate Life Tennessee registry.
Once registered, your TN driver's license or ID will be printed with a small heart showing you are a registered organ donor.
Update Your TN Organ Donor Status
You can update your profile online. You will need your Tennessee driver's license or ID card number, plus your password to access your Donate Life Tennessee profile.
You can change/update your:
- Personal information.
- Preferences on what you want to donate and what you do not.
You can also update your info using ORGANIZE.org.
NOTE: If you registered through the Tennessee Department of Safety, it can take some time for your record to be available online at Donate Life Tennessee website.
If you used the online form to register with Donate Life Tennessee, you will use the registration ID and password given to you.
If you visited the Department of Safety to sign up, your driver's license number will be your registration ID number.
Other Ways to Help With Organ Donation
Besides joining the organ donor registry, you can:
- Make monetary donations to Donate Life Tennessee (the amount that you donate is tax-deductible up to the maximum extent allowed by law) by mailing your contribution to:
- Learn more about donating bone marrow by contacting the National Marrow Donor Program.
- Contact the Eye Bank of America to find out about cornea donation.
- Make a living donation. To learn more, you can visit the United Network for Organ Sharing Transplant Living website.
- Encourage your friends and family to register as organ donors!
Donate Life Tennessee
1600 Hayes Street, Suite 300
Nashville, TN 37203
Organ Donors Are Heroes
Make a difference. Register to donate your organs, eyes, or tissues.