Traffic Tickets in South Dakota

SUMMARY: South Dakota Traffic Tickets

In South Dakota, the steps to handle a traffic ticket vary by violation. You may be able to pay your ticket fines by mail or in person. Some violations require a court appearance. If you would like to fight your ticket, you'll need to appear in court.

Continue reading this page to learn how to respond to your South Dakota traffic ticket.

Traffic Ticket Penalties and Fines

In South Dakota, traffic ticket fines vary depending on your violation. Your traffic ticket should show the full amount. If you do not see your fines on either your ticket or the South Dakota Fine and Bond Schedule, you'll likely need to appear in court.

For specific details about your traffic ticket, contact the SD circuit court or magistrate court handling your case.

SD Driving Record Points

The SD Department of Public Safety (DPS) will add points to your driving record after you are convicted of a traffic violation. Your South Dakota driver's license will be suspended if you accumulate:

  • 15 points within 12 months.
  • 22 points within 24 months.

See our DMV Point System page for more information.

NOTE: If you receive a traffic conviction while you have a restricted driver's permit, your driving privileges will be suspended for 30 days.

Pay a Traffic Ticket in South Dakota

Depending on the court handling your traffic ticket, you may be able to pay your fine:

  • By mail.
  • In person.

For specific instructions on how to pay your ticket fines in South Dakota, please refer to your traffic ticket or contact the SD circuit or magistrate court directly.

NOTE: Be sure to pay your traffic ticket by the due date to avoid additional fines and penalties.

Fight a SD Traffic Ticket

NOTE: Failing to respond to your traffic ticket or appear in court by the deadline can result in a “failure to appear" charge and a warrant for your arrest.

To fight your SD traffic ticket, you must appear in court to submit a “not guilty plea" and request a trial. You may want to consider hiring a SD traffic ticket attorney.

For specific instructions, refer to your traffic ticket or contact the South Dakota circuit court or magistrate court listed on your ticket.

Lost Your Traffic Ticket?

If you misplace or lose your SD traffic ticket, you'll need to contact either the circuit court (felony cases) or magistrate court (misdemeanor cases).

You may need to provide some personal information, including your:

  • Full name.
  • Date of birth.
  • South Dakota driver's license number.
  • License plate number.

Fines & Penalties for Commercial Drivers

If you have a SD commercial driver's license (CDL), you must notify your employer within 30 days of a traffic conviction. Remember, traffic rules may be more strict for you as a commercial driver. In some cases, you could lose your CDL for 1 year, including if you are convicted of:

  • Driving a commercial vehicle with a BAC of 0.04%.
  • Driving a commercial vehicle while under the effects of a controlled substance
  • Operating a commercial vehicle with a suspended, cancelled or revoked CDL.
  • Operating a CMV when you have been disqualified.
  • Not remaining at the scene of an accident.
  • Violating state implied consent laws.
  • Using a CMV negligently and causing a fatality.
  • The commission of a felony offense including making, distributing or dispensing a controlled substance, while operating a CMV.

You can read our CDL Suspensions in South Dakota page for more information.

South Dakota Traffic Tickets: FAQs

Go to our Traffic Ticket FAQ page for more information about the following topics:

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review