Replacing a Lost Registration in South Dakota

On This Page

Replacing a Lost South Dakota Registration

If your registration certificate, license plate, or validation sticker are lost, stolen, or damaged, you can request duplicates from the South Dakota Motor Vehicles Division (MVD) of the Department of Revenue (DOR).

You'll need to complete an application, and in most cases, you'll also have to pay a replacement fee. In some cases, the MVD requires that you file a police report.

Keep reading for more information about replacing lost registration materials.

If your vehicle title is lost or stolen, see our page Replacing a Lost Title in South Dakota.

How to Replace a South Dakota Registration

Because registration certificates must be carried in your vehicle at all times, you'll want to obtain a duplicate as quickly as possible so that you aren't cited or fined if stopped by the police or involved in an accident.

There are no forms to download or complete. Instead, you must visit your local county treasurer's office. Be sure to bring your driver's license and vehicle information, including the:

  • Make and model.
  • Vehicle identification number (VIN).
  • License plate number.

For fee information, contact your county treasurer's office by phone before you go.

How to Replace SD License Plates & Stickers

If your license plates or validation stickers are lost, stolen, or damaged, you can submit a request for a duplicate:

  • By mail.
  • In person.

If your license plates or validation stickers are lost in the mail, you will need to complete a different application. These replacements can also be requested by mail or in person.

Replacing Lost, Stolen, or Damaged Items

To request duplicate license plates or validation stickers when yours are lost, stolen, or damaged, you will need to complete the Affidavit for Duplicate License Plate/Validation Sticker (Form MV-102).

You will also need to:

  • Mail or take the damaged license plates and/or stickers.
  • Include police report information for lost or stolen plates and/or stickers.

Finally, be sure to send or take payment for fees:

  • $10 for motor vehicle plates or stickers.
  • $2 for plates or stickers for other vehicles, such as a motorcycle or boat.

You can submit your materials:

Replacing Items Lost in the Mail

If you have applied for a license plate and/or validation sticker from the MVD and they do not arrive, you can reply for free replacements. You must apply within 90 days of the date the plate or stickers were originally issued to you.

To request replacements, you'll complete the applicable section of theApplication for Replacement of License Plates, Validation Stickers, or Lost Title Document (Lost in Mail) (Form DMV-303).

You can submit the application:

Reporting Lost SD Plates & Stickers

The MVD requires you to report lost or stolen license plates or validation stickers to a law enforcement agency. When you apply for replacements, you will need to provide the name and location of the agency, and sign to confirm that you have reported the loss or theft.

Not only does the MVD require you to report lost or stolen tags, filing the report can help prevent someone from using your license plate or validation sticker fraudulently.

Although you aren't required to report a lost registration certificate, you can do so if you are concerned about fraudulent use of the document. BBB Business Review

Number of Organ Donors who registered through