Scooters, Mopeds, Etc... in South Dakota
Though mopeds and scooters look harmless, the South Dakota Motor Vehicles Division (MVD) does require registration for these motorized bikes. For clarity's sake, the MVD considers mopeds and scooters as one and the same.
Moped and Scooter Definition
Before registering, determine that your bike classifies as a moped or scooter. South Dakota defines a moped as any bike featuring:
- 2 or 3 wheels.
- An engine that's 50 CC (cubic centimeters) or less.
- No clutching or shifting.
Moped and Scooter Registration
Visit your county treasurer's office with:
- An Application for Motor Vehicle Title and Registration (Form MV-608).
- Proof of paying sales tax
- Either a manufacturer's statement of origin or a bill of sale
- Payment for $10 title fee
- Payment for any applicable registration fees.
Application for Motor Vehicle Title & Registration - MV-608
Title and register your vehicle with the South Dakota Division of Motor Vehicles.