Scooters, Mopeds, Etc... in South Dakota
For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.
Licensed by the
|Online Registration||Online Registration|
|Same Day Processing||Same Day Processing|
|E-copy of Registration||E-copy of Registration|
|Alternate Mailing Address||Alternate Mailing Address|
|Phone Support||Phone Support|
|$29 Convenience Fee||Learn more below|
Though mopeds and scooters look harmless, the South Dakota Motor Vehicles Division (MVD) does require registration for these motorized bikes. For clarity's sake, the MVD considers mopeds and scooters as one and the same.
Moped and Scooter Definition
Before registering, determine that your bike classifies as a moped or scooter. South Dakota defines a moped as any bike featuring:
- 2 or 3 wheels.
- An engine that's 50 CC (cubic centimeters) or less.
- No clutching or shifting.
Moped and Scooter Registration
Visit your county treasurer's office with:
- An Application for Motor Vehicle Title and Registration (Form MV-608).
- Proof of paying sales tax
- Either a manufacturer's statement of origin or a bill of sale
- Payment for $10 title fee
- Payment for any applicable registration fees.