Drivers in the Military in South Dakota

Driver's License Renewal for SD Military

If you are a South Dakota military member deployed out of state, your driver's license will remain valid as long as you're an active armed forces member serving outside of South Dakota. When you return or leave the service, the South Dakota DPS gives you 90 days to renew.

However, if you choose to renew your license, South Dakota extends special allowances to members of the military and the Peace Corps―as well as their dependents who are living out-of-state temporarily―to renew their driver's licenses by mail. Note, however, that you can only renew by mail if you have already been issued a federally-compliant driver's license or ID card. *

To renew by mail, you will need to:

  • Fill out a South Dakota Driver License/I.D. Card Application form. Those in the military (and their dependents) should use their United States address; Peace Corps members need to use their South Dakota address.
  • Sign your name on an unlined, white sheet of paper.
  • If you are 65 years old or older you must have a licensed optometrist or ophthalmologist complete the vision statement. Make sure that the doctor fills out the form in English, and that the statement has been done within the past 1 year.
  • Provide a photocopy of your current federally-compliant photo ID, plus 2 documents proving your residency *.
  • If you're in the Peace Corps, you must include proof of your service.
  • Fill out a self-addressed, stamped envelope.
  • Provide payment for the $28 fee (Class 1, 2, or 3 vehicle), OR $33 fee for commercial licenses.
    • Hazardous material licenses are not allowed to be renewed by mail.
    • If you're writing a check, make it payable to the Department of Public Safety.

Then, once you've got everything ready, include it all in an envelope and send it to:

Driver Licensing
118 West Capitol Ave.
Pierre, SD 57501

* If you do not have a current federally-compliant photo ID, you cannot renew by mail; however, you can apply for a temporary permit to extend your license. For information on obtaining this permit:

If you're on active duty with the military from out of state, and you are stationed in South Dakota, you do not need to apply for a SD state driver's license. Providing, of course, that you have a valid license from your home state.

The same holds true for your spouse and children.

Vehicle Registration Renewal for Military

If you're a military member temporarily stationed out of state, you can renew your registration either online or by mail. See our Registration Renewal in South Dakota page for more information.

Military License Plates

If you are currently serving in the U.S. armed forces, you will be able to apply for special military license plates. To apply, complete a South Dakota Application for Veteran License Plates and Affidavit (Form DMV-1302) and return it to the SD Department of Revenue. You will also need to pay the regular license plate fee and a $10 special plate fee.


Application for Veteran License Plates and Affidavit
Apply for new, renewed, OR reassigned South Dakota veteran license plates with the Division of Motor Vehicles. MUST be notarized.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review