Disability Plates and Placards in South Dakota

SUMMARY: South Dakota Disability Plates & Placards

The South Dakota DMV issues disability placards and license plates for handicapped parking. Applying for a disability plate requires an application in person or by mail with medical certification by your doctor. You will have to renew your placard or plate before it expires. Lost, stolen, or damaged items can be replaced.

Keep reading for more information about the disability placards and plates available in South Dakota.

Types of South Dakota Disability Permits

The South Dakota Department of Revenue (DOR) issues both placards and license plates for handicapped parking:

  • The disability placard is a removable tag that you hang on the front side of your rearview mirror. Placards are available for:
    • Temporary disabilities.
    • Permanent disabilities.
  • The disabled reserved parking license plate replaces the standard license plate that the state issues and are available for permanent disabilities only.

Disabled Parking Regulations

With a disabled parking placard and/or license plate in SD, you can park in any space designated for disabled vehicles.

You CANNOT park in spaces that do not allow stopping or parking at any time or spaces reserved for specialized vehicles.

If you are visiting South Dakota, you can use your home state placard or license plate for handicapped parking in the state.

Apply for SD Disability Parking

You can apply for a disabled placard or plate from your South Dakota county treasurer’s office either:

  • By mail.
  • In person.

To apply for either a disability placard or license plate, you will need:

Submit your application to your local SD county treasurer by mail or in person.

Disabled Veteran License Plate

You can apply for a disabled veteran license plate IF you meet any of the following criteria:

  • You have received a VA K Award.
  • You have an automobile under Public Law 187.
  • You receive a benefit for loss of use of an extremity or complete loss.
  • You get a total disability allotment for a service-related disability.

To apply for a SD disabled veteran plate you'll need:

Submit the application and fee by mail or in person to your local South Dakota DOR office.

Renew Disability Placards & Plates

Disability placards and license plates in SD expire and must be renewed after a certain time period:

  • Temporary placards: Valid for up to 1 year.
  • Permanent placards: Valid for 5 years.
  • License plates: Valid for the length of your vehicle registration.

To renew a handicap placard, you will need the Application for Physically Disabled Parking Permit and License Plates (Form 1305).

  • Temporary placard renewal: Medical certification is required.
  • Permanent placard renewal: NO medical certification is required.

Submit your renewal form to the SD DOR either:

  • By mail.
  • In person.

You can renew your permanent disability placard up to 90 days before it expires.

If you have a disability license plate, you must renew your SD vehicle registration for your plate to be valid.

Replace a Handicap Permit in SD

If your disability parking placard is lost, stolen, or damaged, you must request a replacement from the south Dakota DOR. Contact your county treasurer for more information.

If you have a lost, stolen, or damaged license plate, you must:


Affidavit for Duplicate License Plate/Validation Sticker
Request replacement license plates AND/OR registration decals from the SD Division of Motor Vehicles.
Application for Physically Disabled Parking Permit and License Plates
Request original, replacement, renewal, permanent, OR temporary disabled parking permits OR license plates from the South Dakota DMV.
Military License Plate Application
Apply for military license plates with the South Dakota DMV.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review