Name Change in South Dakota
For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.
Licensed by the
|Online Registration||Online Registration|
|Same Day Processing||Same Day Processing|
|E-copy of Registration||E-copy of Registration|
|Alternate Mailing Address||Alternate Mailing Address|
|Phone Support||Phone Support|
|$29 Convenience Fee||Learn more below|
Follow the instructions on this page to update your name on your South Dakota Department of Public Safety (DPS) and Division of Motor Vehicles (MVD) documents.
Change Your Name with the SSA
If you've just been divorced, gotten married, or changed your name for any other reason, you'll need to update the Social Security Administration (SSA). In some states, the DMV will verify your new name with the SSA, so this is an important first step.
You will need to submit the following documents to the SSA either in person or by mail:
- Proof of your:
- Identity (e.g. driver's license, ID card, passport).
- U.S. citizenship OR immigration status (e.g. U.S. birth certificate, U.S. citizenship certificate, I-94 and employment visa).
- Name change (e.g. court order, marriage certificate, divorce decree).
- A completed Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).
Once the SSA has processed your application, you should receive your updated Social Security card in the mail within 14 business days.
For more information and a list of required documents, visit the SSA website.
SD Driver's License/ID Card Name Change
To change your name on your South Dakota driver's license or ID card, you'll need to visit your local DPS office in person and:
- Show proof of your name change, such as your:
- Marriage certificate.
- Divorce decree.
- Official court order.
- Show proof of your identity, date of birth, and lawful status in the U.S., such as your:
- U.S. birth certificate.
- U.S. citizenship certificate.
- Valid employment authorization card.
- Show proof of your Social Security number (SSN), such as your:
- Social Security card.
- W-2 form.
- Pay stub (showing both your name and SSN).
- Show 2 documents proving your SD address, such as your:
- Utility bill.
- Rental receipt.
- Bank statement.
- Pay the $15 fee.
A complete list of required documents can be found on the SD DPS website.
Car Registration & Title Name Change
Once you've updated your South Dakota driver's license with the Department of Public Safety (DPS), you can request an updated certificate of title and car registration showing your new name from the SD DMV.
- Proof of your name change.
- Your current title certificate.
- Your current registration document.
- Payment for duplicate documents.
For more information about applying for duplicate documents, visit our following pages:
Fees to Change Your Name in SD
To change your name on your SD DPS and DMV documents, you will need to pay the following fees:
- Driver's license/ID card: $15.
- Title: $10.
If you have any questions about fees, including accepted payment methods, contact: