Commercial Driver FAQs in South Dakota


There's a lot of ground to cover when it comes to the subject of commercial driver licensing, but we've done our best to give you the highlights in our various commercial driving sections. In this section, we'll give you a few other bits of information you might find useful, as well as some helpful links if you're looking for additional information.

What if I'm new to the state?

If you've recently moved here and have a commercial driver's license (CDL) from your previous state, you'll have 30 days to get your South Dakota CDL. No testing is required for transferring a valid CDL unless you are applying for a HAZMAT endorsement.

What are the CDL classifications?

The state takes a look at different CDL classifications and the skill level required for each on the Commercial Licensing page on its website.

Where can I find more information on commercial driving laws?

As we've mentioned, there's a lot of information available about commercial driving. If you're interested in learning about the finer points, such as the specific laws, rules, and regulations surrounding it, take a look at the South Dakota Codified Laws.

Yes, it may be a little difficult to understand, but chances are that the information you're looking for can be found there. (You may also visit our Vehicle Code section if you need help.)

How much does it cost to renew a CDL?

The basic renewal fee for a CDL is $33.

How do I get a hazardous materials endorsement?

You need to be at least 21 years old to apply for this endorsement.

The state provides an outline on how to obtain a hazmat endorsement. And, we cover some of this in our Applying for a New CDL section.

But, basically, anyone applying for an endorsement must receive a security clearance from the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) by having a background check completed. You'll also need to be fingerprinted.

To complete the background check, visit the website, or call them at (855) 437-8371. There's a $86.50 fee for the service.

You'll need to schedule an appointment at one of the authorized fingerprinting locations. Bring your completed Hazardous Materials application with you, but don't sign it until it can be witnessed at the location.

Remember, before any of this can happen, you'll need to pass the written hazardous material endorsement exam, available at exam stations.

Plus, you'll also need to provide proof of citizenship (such as a United States birth certificate or passport) or immigration status. Check the hazmat licensing instructions for the complete list.

Also, anyone wishing to renew their endorsement must also receive a security clearance.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review