Replacing a Lost Registration in South Carolina

On This Page

Replacing a Lost South Carolina Registration

If you have a lost, stolen, or damaged vehicle registration, license plate, or license plate decal, you can request a replacement from the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

The process for requesting a replacement is fairly simple, especially with the ability to complete an online application.

If you need to replace a lost, stolen, or damaged vehicle title, see our page Replacing a Lost Title in South Carolina.

Replacing a Lost South Carolina Registration

If you have a stolen or lost vehicle registration, sticker, or plate, you can request a replacement:

  • Online.
  • By mail.
  • In person.

You can also request replacement license plates and license plate stickers.


You can request a duplicate registration certificate or license plate online.

In order to use the online service, you will need:

  • A VISA, MasterCard, or Discover card to pay the fees.
  • Identifying information:
    • Your license plate number, if you are requesting a registration certificate.
    • Information from your registration, if you are requesting a new license plate.

You must also make sure that your registration and license plate are up-to-date with the DMV. For example, if your registration is expired or your address has changed, you'll have to take care of that BEFORE you can request duplicates online.

By Mail

If you plan on requesting a new registration, license plate, or decal by mail, you will need:

  • A check or money order for fees:
    • $6 for a replacement registration.
    • License plate and decal fees vary based on the reason you need a replacement.

Mail your form and payment to:

Department of Motor Vehicles
P.O. Box 1498
Blythewood, SC 29016

In Person

To request replacements in person at your local SC DMV office, you will need:

  • Your registration and license plate information.
  • Payment for fees:
    • Fee for a replacement registration.
    • The fee for a duplicate license plate or decal varies based on the reason for replacement.

Out-of-State Registration Replacements

You can request a replacement registration certificate or license plate if you are out of state by:

  • Using the online system.
  • Submitting your application by mail.

See the “ Online" and “By Mail" sections above for more information.

Make sure to note where the SC DMV should mail the registration certificate or license plates, as the DMV will otherwise send them to your address they have on file.

Reporting Lost or Stolen SC Registration

To report the loss, theft, or damage to the SC DMV and request replacements, the DMV does not require you to file a police report.

However, if your registration certificate or license plates were stolen, you may want to file a police report to protect yourself from fraudulent use of your registration materials, including identity theft.


Application for Duplicate Registration
Request a duplicate SC registration from the Department of Motor Vehicles.
Application to Replace License Plate or Expiration Year Decal
Request replacement South Carolina license plates OR year decals from the DMV.

Related Products and Services

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review

Number of Organ Donors who registered through DMV.ORG