Replacing a Lost License in South Carolina

Replacing a Lost License in South Carolina

A lost or stolen South Carolina driver's license, permit, or ID is a serious issue. Not only does it prevent you from legally driving and providing proof of identity, but it also puts you at risk for identity theft.

The South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles provides several options for getting a duplicate—even if you're out of state or away on military assignment.

SC REAL ID Driver's Licenses

The South Carolina DMV has begun issuing federally-compliant REAL ID driver’s licenses, which allow you to use your license for domestic travel and entry into federal and military buildings. You can choose to replace your standard license with a REAL ID—details are outlined below.

Report Your Missing License, Permit, or ID

The SC DMV uses the Affidavit for Lost/Surrendered Drivers License (Form DL-49) as a means of reporting your lost or stolen South Carolina driver's license to the DMV.

Once you have the form:

  • Complete the bottom section for drivers with valid (not suspended) driver licenses.
  • Sign and date the affidavit.
  • Submit it with your duplicate license application.

South Carolina recommends you report a lost or stolen license to law enforcement, too. Reporting your lost or stolen license is the first step toward preventing identity theft.

How to Replace a Lost or Stolen SC License or ID

Depending on your needs and circumstances, you can replace your lost South Carolina driver's license:

  • Online.
  • In person.
  • By mail.

The following people MUST apply in person:

  • Minors.
  • Non-citizens.
  • Those replacing a commercial driver's license (CDL).
  • Those with Provisional, Temporary Alcohol, or Route Restricted licenses.
  • Anyone who currently has a non-REAL ID-compliant driver’s license but wants to upgrade to a REAL ID.
    • Sometimes, you can replace a standard driver’s license with a REAL ID by mail if the SCDMV already has all the required documents on file.

SC Out-of-State or Military License Replacement

You'll follow the mail-in instructions to replace a lost South Carolina driver's license while out of state; the same goes for military license replacement and license replacement for dependents of military members.

If you need more information you can contact the DMV Call Center at (803) 896-5000. 

Replacing a Lost or Stolen CDL

You can replace your lost or stolen commercial driver's license (CDL) in person or by mail; the SC DMV doesn't allow online CDL replacements.

Bring the application and fees to your local DMV office or mail everything to:

Department of Motor Vehicles
P.O. Box 1498
Blythewood, SC 29016

If you don't receive it in a timely manner, contact the DMV Call Center at (803) 896-5000. 

CDL-Specific Replacement Requirements

Generally, CDL-replacements have a few different requirements. Always call ahead to ask about:

  • The exact fee. The SC DMV may charge a little more for CDLs than regular driver's licenses.
  • Whether you need to bring or mail in any special identification or residency requirements.
  • Whether you need to bring or mail in your medical certification or waiver. 

Learn more about commercial driver requirements at our Applying for a New CDL in South Carolina page.


Application for a Beginner's Permit, Driver's License, or Identification Card (Non-Commercial Credential)
Use this DMV form to apply for a South Carolina learner's permit, driver's license, identification card, OR moped/motorcycle license. Can be used to request an original, renewal, duplicate, or correction.
Affidavit for Lost/Surrendered Drivers License
Submit to the SC Department of Motor Vehicles if you lost OR must surrender your driver's license, learner's permit, or ID card.
Application for a Commercial Drivers License
SC DMV application for a commercial learner's permit OR commercial driver's license.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review