Replacing a Lost CDL in South Carolina
Pass Your CDL Written Exam with DMV Cheatsheets!
Get answers, save time and pass your CDL exam test the first time around. DMV Cheat Sheets advantages:
- Use Your Computer, Tablet or Mobile Phone
- Study When and Where You Want
- 24/7 Online Access
- Simply print and pass or your money back guaranteed
Get Your Test Answers Now!
Typically, you must apply for a replacement commercial driver's license in person with the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The SC DMV recommends reporting your lost CDL to the police and requires you report it to the DMV.
Remember, you can't legally operate a commercial truck or any other commercial vehicle without your valid, properly endorsed CDL, so it's crucial you apply for a replacement as soon as possible.
Getting a Duplicate CDL in South Carolina
Because the SC DMV accepts applications in person and online—and commercial drivers aren't eligible to apply online—you must visit your local field office with the following:
- A completed Application for a Commercial Driver's License or Commercial Learner's Permit (Class A, B, or C) (Form 447-CDL).
- At the field office, the DMV representative will mark that your application is for a duplicate CDL.
- A completed Affidavit for Lost/Surrendered Driver's License, Beginner's Permit, or Identification Card (Form DL-49).
- Using this form, you must report your lost license and your request for a duplicate, per South Carolina law.
- Your medical examiner's certificate or waiver.
- The $10 fee.
NOTE: If you've now applied for more than 1 replacement license within a period of 12 months, the SC DMV will require additional documentation, such as a police report. Contact your field office for details specific to your situation.
Out-of-State SC Replacement CDL
For details on how you may replace your CDL while out-of-state, contact a field office agent or call the SC DMV at SCDMV at (803) 896-5000 for details about your situation and options.