License Renewal in South Carolina
COVID-19 Effects on Licensing Services
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, state DMVs nationwide have closed driver licensing offices, extended license and registration expiration dates, and/or limited the transactions they are processing. If possible, residents should use the DMV's online services to complete any relevant transactions. Follow the DMV's most recent updates for the latest information.
Renewing Your South Carolina Driver's License
In South Carolina, you need to renew your driver's license with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) either online, by mail, or in person. We'll break down the process for you below.
SCDMV REAL ID Driver's Licenses
The South Carolina DMV has begun issuing federally-compliant REAL ID driver’s licenses, which allow you to use your license for domestic travel and entry into federal and military buildings. You can choose to receive a REAL ID upon your renewal if you meet all eligibility requirements and the DMV already has your documents on file. details are outlined below.
Need to Renew a Different Credential?
If you need to renew your ID card, please see our Identification Cards in South Carolina page.
If you need to renew your SC commercial drivers license (CDL), please see our Renew your South Carolina CDL page.
When to Renew
Your South Carolina driver's license will expire on your birthday, and is valid for 8 years.
You can renew online, by mail, or in person. Requirements and methods differ based on whether your license is:
- Current and valid.
- Missing (lost, damaged, or stolen).
NOTE: If you are not a U.S. citizen, please see the Non-Citizen License Renewal section below.
Renew Your SC License
South Carolina allows you to renew your license:
- By mail.
- In person.
Below, we'll walk you through the steps and documents for each of your options.
SC Military Member Renewal & Exemptions
NOTICE: Military Members Stationed in Germany
If you are currently stationed in Germany, please be aware that some states require you to have a valid U.S. driver's license in addition to your USAREUR license. Read our article for more information.
- You are an active-duty military member.
- You are a spouse or dependent of a military member stationed outside of South Carolina.
- You are one of the above and you were away from South Carolina for 30 consecutive days before your expiration date.
Renewing While Out of State
If you and your dependents are outside of South Carolina (either on deployment or stationed) when your license expires, you have the option to renew by mail.
Gather the following documents:
- A completed Mail-In Renewal Application (Form DL-63), including the vision certification.
- Make sure to include your out-of-state or international address.
- A copy of your military orders.
- A current photograph of yourself, showing your head and shoulders.
- Your face and head may not be covered.
- A check payable to "SCDMV" for the $12.50 renewal fee for 8 years.
Mail the above to:
P.O. Box 1498
Blythewood, SC 29016
If you were honorably discharged from the military, you can apply for a veteran designation on your SC driver's license when you renew.
Visit your local SC Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office and provide one of the following:
- Certificate of Discharge.
- Enlisted Separation Paper.
The veteran designation may have an additional fee.
Non-Citizen License Renewal
If you are a non-U.S. citizen and need to renew your SC driver license, you must visit one of the following SC DMV International Customer Offices in person.
You'll need to:
- Pass a vision test or provide certification of an eye exam in the past 12 months.
- Pass a driving knowledge test if you have had more than 5 points on your license in the past 2 years.
- Prove your identity, plus date and place of birth, with documents such as:
- Permanent resident card.
- Employment authorization card.
- Provide your Social Security card or a letter of denial.
- Prove your South Carolina residency, with documents such as your:
- Recent utility bill.
- Current or last year's income tax return.
- Recent Social Security statement.
- Provide your vehicle liability insurance information.
- Pay the renewal fee. (See the Renewal Fees section below.)
Documents must be originals unless otherwise specified. Visit the SC Department of Motor Vehicles' website for a full list of accepted documents.
Renewal Fees in SC
It will cost you the following fees to renew your South Carolina drivers license:
- Valid for 8 years: $25.
- Non-U.S. citizens: $12.50.
Accepted Payment Methods
South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles offices accept the following payment methods for in-person transactions:
- Debit/credit card.
For mailed-in transactions, payment must be submitted by check, made payable to S.C. Department of Motor Vehicles."