Renewing Your CDL in South Carolina
Pass Your CDL Written Exam with DMV Cheatsheets!
Get answers, save time and pass your CDL exam test the first time around. DMV Cheat Sheets advantages:
- Use Your Computer, Tablet or Mobile Phone
- Study When and Where You Want
- 24/7 Online Access
- Simply print and pass or your money back guaranteed
Get Your Test Answers Now!
If you drive a commercial vehicle, you’re used to operating on a deadline. Make sure you stick to South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles (SCDMV) deadline and renew your commercial driver license before it expires.
Keep reading to learn the ins and outs of the CDL renewal process.
CDL Eligibility in South Carolina
In South Carolina, commercial driver licenses are valid for a period of 5 years and expire on your birthday of the last year.
The federal government requires you to submit a current Medical Examiner’s Certificate (Form MCSA-5876) to the DMV if you certify as a:
- Non-excepted interstate driver.
- Non-excepted intrastate driver.
Typically, medical cards are valid for 2 years, unless the medical examiner changes the expiration date. For more information on what may be medically required of you to renew your CDL, check out our guide to South Carolina CDL medical requirements.
If you have a hazardous materials (HAZMAT) endorsement for your CDL, you must pass the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) fingerprint-based background check BEFORE you visit the DMV and complete the renewal process. Jump over to our page on HAZMAT endorsements for instructions regarding TSA threat assessments.
How to Renew Your SC CDL
To renew your commercial driver's license in South Carolina, visit your local DMV office and provide your:
- Current commercial driver license.
- Application for a Commercial Driver's License or Learner's Permit (Form 447-CDL).
- Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Holders Medical Certification (Form DL-405A).
- Medical Examiner’s Certificate (Form MCSA-5876), filled out by a qualified medical examiner.
- Employer’s liability insurance information.
- Payment for the CDL renewal fee(s). The fees section below has a breakdown of costs.
You’ll also be required to:
- Have your picture taken.
- Pass a:
- Vision exam.
- Bring your glasses or contacts if you need them.
- Written knowledge test, for HAZMAT-endorsed drivers ONLY.
- Vision exam.
SC CDL Renewal Fees
Here are the fees associated with renewing your South Carolina commercial driver license:
- License fee: $12.50.
- Application fee: $15, required for renewal.
- Knowledge tests: $2 each.