Organ Donation in South Carolina
Organ Donation in South Carolina
The South Carolina Organ and Tissue Donor Registry administers organ donor registration.
Did you know that 34% of all South Carolina residents indicated on their driver's licenses they wished to be organ donors before the state's registry was launched in 2008? However, these wishes were not able to be transferred to the state's registry. To help get people registered, Donate Life South Carolina has been increasing awareness and outreach efforts.
Sign up today! In the future, you may give someone the gift of life.
Facts About Organ Donation
- Every attempt will be made to save your life. A separate team of doctors will harvest your organs after you die.
- There is never any cost to a person for registering as an organ donor, nor will your estate be charged for any costs associated with organ donation. All costs are absorbed by the organ procurement organization.
- Almost everyone, regardless of sex, age, or race can donate organs.
- All major religions approve organ donation as charitable giving, but realize it is an individual's choice.
- Organ donation does not alter your appearance, so a normal open-casket funeral is still possible.
- It is illegal to sell human organs or tissue.
- Many organs and tissues can be donated by a live donor. You can contribute blood, bone marrow, bone―and sometimes even a portion of your lung, liver, or pancreas. You may also donate one kidney if your other kidney is healthy and functioning properly.
Register as an Organ Donor in SC
You can sign up as an organ donor online or in person at your local SC DMV office.
The South Carolina Organ and Tissue Donor Registry accepts registrations for those wishing to be an organ donor. If you're younger than 18 years old, you will need the permission of your parent or guardian. There is no upper age limit for organ donors; your general state of health is far more important.
Be sure to let your family and friends know of your decision. If no record of your registration is found, your next of kin will be asked to make the decision on your behalf.
To register as an organ donor online, you can:
- Visit the Donate Life South Carolina website.
- You will need to supply your South Carolina driver's license or state ID card number.
- Sign up through ORGANIZE.org. This will register you in SC, as well as add your information to a nationwide central database.
When applying for or renewing your SC driver's license, permit, or state ID card, you can request to have the organ donor designation added to your card.
Update Your SC Organ Donor Information
You are able to update your organ donor registry information online by visiting the Donate Life SC website.
You will need to provide your South Carolina driver's license or state ID card number, your date of birth, and your last name.
Ways You Can Help With Organ Donation
There are a number of ways that you can help with organ donation in South Carolina in addition to becoming a registered organ donor.
- Living donors can give lobes of organs for liver transplant and lung transplant surgeries. You can also give a single organ for kidney transplant, since only one organ is necessary for life. Most living donors choose to give to family members, but, there are also many people who opt for altruistic donation.
- Volunteers are always welcome at Donate Life South Carolina to help share organ donation facts and dispel the myths about organ donation. These volunteers speak to churches, classes, and community groups. They also are available for media interviews and to make donation testimonials for videos.
- Financial donations help Donate Life South Carolina provide public education about organ donation. You can make monetary contributions online. Find out if your company participates in a matching gift program to double your donation. You can also ask at funerals and memorials that donations for organ donation awareness be made in lieu of flowers or make donations in a loved one's name as a memorial or to commemorate birthdays, anniversaries, or other life events.
Organ Donors Are Heroes
Make a difference. Register to donate your organs, eyes, or tissues.