Name Change in South Carolina

SUMMARY: How to Change Your Name in South Carolina

To change your name on your South Carolina drivers license/identification card, vehicle title, and registration, you must visit a DMV office in person. You will need to change your name on the DMV's records, and then apply for updated documents showing your new name. You will need to provide proof of your new name, submit the appropriate application forms, and pay the required fees (if you want updated documents). It's a good idea to first change your name with the Social Security Administration to avoid potential delays or issues.

This page explains how to update your name with the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and apply for updated documents.

Change Your Name with the SSA

Before you change your name with the SC DMV, you should update your information with the Social Security Administration (SSA) first. In some states, the DMV will verify your new name with the SSA first, so if your new name isn't on file with the SSA, your name change application may be delayed or denied.

To update your Social Security card, you'll need:

  • A completed Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).
  • Proof of your identity, such as your:
    • SC driver's license.
    • ID card.
    • Passport.
  • Proof of your name change, such as your:
    • Court order.
    • Marriage certificate.
    • Divorce decree.
  • Proof of your lawful U.S. presence, such as your:
    • U.S. birth certificate.
    • U.S. passport.
    • Work permit and I-94.

NOTE: A list of required documents for a corrected Social Security card can be found on the SSA website.

Submit the above documents either by mail or in person to your local SSA office. They will process your request and send you an updated Social Security card within about 14 business days.

NOTE: You do not have to wait to receive your updated Social Security card to update your DMV records.

SC Driver's License/ID Card Name Change

Once you've changed your name, you must inform the South Carolina DMV within 10 days. You will need to visit your local SC DMV office in person and submit:

If you'd like an updated driver's license or ID card showing your new name, you'll also need to submit:

If you want to apply for an updated card at a later date, you can do so by mailing the application form and payment to:

DMV Alternative Media
P.O. Box 1498
Blythewood, SC 29016

Car Registration & Title Name Change

To change your name on your car registration and certificate of title, follow the instructions above to change your name on your SC DMV records.

Your registration information will automatically be updated.

To obtain an updated certificate of title showing your new name, you'll need to also submit:

You can submit your application and payment either in person to the SC DMV or by mail to: 

DMV Alternative Media
P.O. Box 1498
Blythewood, SC 29016

Fees to Change Your Name in SC

The South Carolina DMV will charge you the following fees for updated documents showing your new name:

  • Driver's license/CDL: $10.
  • Driver's permit: $2.50.
  • ID card: $15 (only charged if you are 5 to 16 years old).
  • Certificate of title: $15.
  • Vehicle registration (online): Free.

Accepted Payment Methods

South Carolina DMV offices accept payment by:

  • Cash.
  • Check.
  • Credit/debit card.

For mailed-in applications, payment must be made by check.

Change Your South Carolina Address

Changing your address in South Carolina is much the same as changing your name on your DMV documents; however, you have additional options to update your information by mail or online.

For more information, see our Change of Address in South Carolina page.


Application for Certificate of Title and Registration for Motor Vehicle or Manufactured Home/Mobile Home
Apply for an original, transferred, OR duplicate (title only) South Carolina vehicle title and registration with this DMV form.
Application for a Beginner's Permit, Driver's License, or Identification Card (Non-Commercial Credential)
Use this DMV form to apply for a South Carolina learner's permit, driver's license, identification card, OR moped/motorcycle license. Can be used to request an original, renewal, duplicate, or correction.
Application for a Commercial Drivers License
SC DMV application for a commercial learner's permit OR commercial driver's license.
Application for a Social Security Card
Application for a new, replacement, OR corrected Social Security card.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review