Change of Address in South Carolina
For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.
Licensed by the
|Online Registration||Online Registration|
|Same Day Processing||Same Day Processing|
|E-copy of Registration||E-copy of Registration|
|Alternate Mailing Address||Alternate Mailing Address|
|Phone Support||Phone Support|
|$29 Convenience Fee||Learn more below|
Continue reading this page to learn more about the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles (SCDMV).
Change Your Address with the SCDMV
If you have moved to a new address in South Carolina, you must notify the SCDMV within 10 days of the change. You can do this either online, by mail, or in person.
When you update your SCDMV records, your driver's license/ID and motor vehicle records will all be updated. You won't be given updated documents showing your new address unless you apply for replacements. Continue reading below for instructions.
NOTE: If you move from South Carolina to another state, you'll need to surrender your SC license plates. See our License Plates page for more information.
Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.
To update your address online, use the SCDMV's online address change system. You will need to enter your:
- Driver's license/ID card number and issue date.
- Social Security number (SSN).
To change your address by mail, you will need to complete the Application for Name and/or Address Change, Date of Birth and/or Social Security Correction, or Special Mailing (Form 4057) and send it to the address on the form.
Changing your address can be done in person by visiting your local South Carolina DMV office.
Driver's License/ID Card Address Change
If you'd like a driver's license or ID card showing your new address, you'll need to order a replacement card once you've updated your SCDMV records.
(You can also submit your replacement request at the same time as changing your address by mail or in person.)
You will payment for the required fee and the appropriate application form:
- Driver's license: Application for a Beginner's Permit, Driver's License, or Identification Card (Form 447-NC).
- Commercial driver's license (CDL): Application for a Commercial Driver's License or Commercial Beginner's Permit (Form 447-CDL).
- Beginner's permit: Application for a Beginner's Permit, Driver's License, or Identification Card (Form 447-NC).
- Identification card: Application for a Beginner's Permit, Driver's License, or Identification Card (Form 447-NC).
Send your form and payment to:
P.O. Box 1498
Blythewood, SC 29016
SC Car Title and Registration Address Change
To change your address on your vehicle registration, you'll simply need to update your records (see above).
If you'd like an updated title certificate showing your new address, in addition to the address change form, you'll need to submit:
- A completed Application for Certificate of Title and Registration for Motor Vehicle or Manufactured Home/Mobile Home (Form 400).
- Your current title certificate.
- Payment for the $15 fee.
Mail your application forms and payment to:
P.O. Box 1498
Blythewood, SC 29016
Fees to Change Your SC Address
If you'd like new SCDMV documents showing your new address, you'll need to pay the following fees:
- Driver's license: $10.
- CDL: $10.
- Beginner's permit: $2.50.
- Identification card: $5 (if you are 5 to 16 years old).
- Vehicle registration (online): Free.
- Certificate of title: $15.
New South Carolina Residents
If you've recently moved to South Carolina from another state, you'll need to complete a few tasks with the SCDMV:
- Transfer your out-of-state driver's license: Within 90 days.
- Transfer your CDL: Within 30 days.
- Transfer your out-of-state vehicle registration and title: Within 45 days.
Change Your Name in SC
If you've recently had a name change for any reason, such as marriage or divorce, you will need to update your driver's license and vehicle records by visiting a SCDMV office in person.
In addition to the appropriate forms, you'll need to submit proof of your name change, such as your:
- Court order.
- Marriage certificate.
- Divorce decree.
For more information, see our Changing Your Name in South Carolina page.
Application for Certificate of Title and Registration for Motor Vehicle or Manufactured Home/Mobile Home - 400
Apply for an original, transferred, OR duplicate (title only) South Carolina vehicle title and registration with this DMV form.
Application for a Beginner's Permit, Driver's License, or Identification Card (Non-Commercial Credential) - 447-NC
Use this DMV form to apply for a South Carolina learner's permit, driver's license, identification card, OR moped/motorcycle license. Can be used to request an original, renewal, duplicate, or correction.
Application for a Commercial Drivers License - 447-CDL
SC DMV application for a commercial learner's permit OR commercial driver's license.