Traffic Tickets in Rhode Island
Stay Informed on Ticket History
Stay up to date on the traffic ticket history of anyone in the U.S.—search public court records for a low fee.
Truthfinder is freakishly accurate... Really scary how much information is out there. - Zak K.
Disclaimer: TruthFinder cannot be used for employment or tenant screening. TruthFinder is not a consumer reporting agency as defined by the Fair Credit Report Act. Please note that this is a subscription-based service.
Continue reading this page to learn how to pay or fight your traffic ticket in Rhode Island.
NOTE: In Rhode Island, traffic tickets are handled either by the Traffic Tribunal OR a municipal court.
Traffic Ticket Fines and Penalties
In Rhode Island, traffic ticket fines vary by violation. You may also need to pay court costs, which vary depending on which RI court is handling your case.
Pay a Traffic Ticket in Rhode Island
If your ticket is handled by the RI Traffic Tribunal, you can pay it:
- By mail.
- By phone.
- In person.
Tickets must be paid within 20 days of receiving it. If your ticket is under the jurisdiction of a municipal court, you'll need to contact that court for payment options. Continue reading below to learn how to pay your Traffic Tribunal traffic ticket.
NOTE: Failure to respond to your traffic ticket by the due date may result in additional penalties and fines, including a driver’s license suspension.
Dismiss Your Traffic Ticket
The RI court may dismiss your traffic ticket if you plead guilty and have a good driving record (no moving violations within the last 3 years). To proceed, you must:
- Appear in court and request a "good driving record" plea.
- Pay all your ticket fines and costs.
NOTE: If you're from out of state, you must bring a certified copy of your driving record.
To pay online, visit the Traffic Tribunal payment website. You'll need to enter your:
- Summons number (printed on your traffic ticket).
- Rhode Island driver's license number.
- Credit or debit card number.
NOTE: You will be charged a processing fee for online payments.
To pay your RI traffic ticket by mail, you'll need to:
- Have a copy of your traffic ticket.
- Write a check for the payment.
- Write your summons number on the check.
- Mail everything to the address on your ticket.
You must send the above within 20 days of receiving your traffic ticket.
You can pay your traffic ticket in person by visiting the RI Traffic Tribunal office at:
670 New London Avenue
Cranston, RI 02920
NOTE: To find out about acceptable payment methods, please contact the Rhode Island Traffic Tribunal.
Fight a Traffic Ticket in RI
NOTE: Failure to respond to your traffic ticket by the deadline will result in a driver’s license suspension.
To fight your RI traffic ticket, you'll need to appear in court on your arraignment date to submit a “not guilty" plea and request a trial.
Before proceeding with your hearing, you may also want to hire a RI traffic ticket attorney for additional support.
Lost Your RI Traffic Ticket?
- Date of birth.
- Rhode Island driver's license number.
- License plate number.
Fines & Penalties for Commercial Drivers
If you're convicted of a RI traffic violation as a commercial driver, you're required to notify your employer within 30 days.
You'll lose your commercial driver's license (CDL) for 1 year if the court convicts you of any of the following offenses:
- Committing a felony with a commercial motor vehicle (CMV). This includes making, distributing and/or dispensing a controlled substance.
- Driving your CMV with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.04% or higher or under the influence of a controlled substance.
- Refusing to submit to a BAC test.
- Not remaining at the scene of an accident.
- Driving a CMV when your license has been suspended, cancelled or revoked or if you were disqualified from operating a CMV.
- Negligent operation of a CMV that results in a fatality.
Visit our CDL Suspension page for more information.
Rhode Island Traffic Tickets: FAQs
Go to our Traffic Ticket FAQ page for more information about the following topics: