Replacing a Lost Title in Rhode Island

Replacing a Lost Title in Rhode Island

Even very careful people can lose important documents. Vehicle titles can be lost, stolen, or damaged. If you wish to sell your car or take out a loan against it, you will need to have the title. Fortunately, replacing a lost or damaged Rhode Island title can be accomplished with a few simple steps.

Your duplicate RI vehicle title will be processed by the Rhode Island Division of Motor Vehicles.

Continue reading this page to find out how to get a hold of a duplicate Rhode Island vehicle title.

Vehicles Requiring Titles

In Rhode Island, a vehicle title is only a requirement for vehicles that are model year 2001 or newer.

Getting a Duplicate Title

NOTE: Only the owner can apply for a duplicate title in Rhode Island. If there was a lien on the car, you will need to supply the original lien release letter to prove that the loan is paid off.

It's easy to get a duplicate title if you've lost or damaged yours, but it requires waiting in line at the Pawtucket DMV. This is the only DMV office where you can apply for a duplicate title. You'll need to:

  • Complete a Application for Title (Form TR-2/TR-9) and have it notarized.
  • Show proof of identity, such as your:
    • Valid driver's license.
    • Birth certificate.
    • U.S. passport.
  • Show proof of residence (no more than 60 days old), such as a:
    • Utility bill.
    • Personal check.
    • Bank statement.
  • Bring the lien release letter, if there was a lien on the vehicle that has been satisfied.
  • Submit payment for the $52.50 fee.
  • Present all of the above to the Title Office at the Cranston DMV location:

Division of Motor Vehicles
Research/Title Office
600 New London Ave.
Cranston, RI 02920

Have a Lienholder?

You can only apply for a duplicate title if you are the owner listed on the original title. If you still have a lien on the vehicle, the lienholder can apply.

If your title has a lienholder listed on it but you've paid off the loan, you have to fill out a Release of Lien document and present it with your application.

Can you add or remove a lien from the title during this process?

If you have paid off the loan for your car, you can have the lienholder's name removed from your title by presenting the original lien release with your application for a new title.

To have lien information removed from your title, submit the original "Release of Lien" form with the application.

Making Corrections on Your Title

When applying for a duplicate title in Rhode Island, you can remove lien information, update the vehicle's mileage, or update your name/address. For more information, please visit our pages on Changing Your Name and Changing Your Address in Rhode Island.


Application for Title
Apply for an original, duplicate, corrected, OR salvage RI title with the DMV.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review