Replacing a Lost CDL in Rhode Island
Apply for your duplicate commercial driver's license in person with the Rhode Island Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV). You can't order a replacement CDL by mail, so you must contact the RI DMV if you're out of state.
Remember, it's illegal to drive a commercial truck or any commercial vehicle without a valid CDL with you and you MUST return the stolen or lost CDL to the RI DMV if you find it. Consider reporting the lost CDL to local and state authorities for identity protection.
Apply for a Duplicate CDL in RI
To apply for a replacement CDL in person if you're IN STATE:
- Complete the Application for a License, Identification Card and Permit (Form LI-1).
- Gather the required documents. For a replacement license, you need:
- 1 document proving identity such as your U.S. birth certificate, military identification, or applicable INS documents.
- 1 document with your signature such as your original Social Security card, work or school identification card, or U.S. or foreign passport.
- Prepare the $26.50 fee.
- Generally, you can pay by cash, check, or credit card in person; by mail, pay with a check.
Out-of-State RI Replacement CDL
Because federal regulations require your CDL have a photo, you CAN'T order a duplicate CDL while you're out of state (i.e. by mail).
For more information about your out-of-state situation, contact your local DMV office.