Organ Donation in Rhode Island
Organ Donation in Rhode Island
Did you know another person is added to the nation's organ transplant waiting list every 10 minutes? Every day, 20 people pass away waiting for a life-saving organ transplant.
The Rhode Island Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) works in conjunction with Donate Life New England to register donors and provide valuable information on donations.
Organ Donation Facts
Many people in the United States die each day while waiting for an organ transplant. Currently, thousands of Americans are in dire need of donated organs, and many more wait for donated tissues. Here are some important facts, which could provide all the information you need to join the cause!
- There are absolutely no fees to be an organ donor; your family will not be responsible for any charges.
- Your funeral won't be delayed or altered due to becoming a donor; open-casket funerals are still possible.
- All major U.S. religions support organ and tissue donation.
- Donors receive the same level of medical care as non-donors. Every effort is made to save your life before any thoughts of donation are even considered. Organ and tissue donation is only an option after every measure has been taken in the attempt to save your life.
Register as an Organ Donor in Rhode Island
You can register as an organ donor in Rhode Island online or in person at your RI Division of Motor Vehicles office .
You do NOT need a driver's license or identification card to register to become an organ donor in Rhode Island. However, you will need the last 4 digits of your Social Security number (SSN) to apply online.NOTE: Advising family members of your wishes is strongly recommended.
To register online, please visit:
- The Donate Life New England website. This will record your registration with the state.
- ORGANIZE.org. This will both register you in Rhode Island AND add your intentions to a central information database.
You can indicate your desire to be an organ donor on an Application for License, Identification Card and Permits (Form LI-1).
Once you are registered as an organ and tissue donor in Rhode Island, a heart will be visible on the front of your identification card or driver's license.
NOTE: Every time you renew your identification card or RI driver's license, remember to check the box to continue being a tissue and organ donor.
Other Ways To Support Organ Donation
You're able to support organ donation a variety of different ways in Rhode Island. You can:
- Become a New England Donor Services (NEDS) volunteer. The volunteers at NEOB are essential for educating the public about the need for organ and tissue donors. Volunteers can assist people in signing up to become a tissue and organ donor in Rhode Island.
- Make a monetary donation to Donate Life America online.
- Make a monetary donation to the Rhode Island Organ Donor Awareness Coalition (RIODAC).
Application for License, Identification Card and Permit - LI-1
Apply for an original, renewal, OR duplicate learner's permit, driver's license, motorcycle license, OR identification card with the Rhode Island DMV.
Organ Donors Are Heroes
Make a difference. Register to donate your organs, eyes, or tissues.