Driving Records in Rhode Island
Driving Records for Employment
Businesses can order Rhode Island driving records as part of their employment screening practices from DrivingRecords.com. These driving records provide a history of violations, suspensions, and other details about a person's driving history.Order Now »
Although you can order a driving record directly from the Rhode Island DMV, one of the fastest ways to get your Driving Record for Employment Purposes is to order it online through a 3rd-party advertiser, such as DrivingRecords.com. They also offer other services such as criminal records, SSN verifications, and other employment screening services.
The Rhode Island Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) keeps driving records for all licensed residents in RI.
Our page about Driving Records in Rhode Island outlines everything you need to know about how to request a driving record from the RI DMV.
The Rhode Island DMV lists assorted driver history from the previous 3 years on your RI driving record, including:
- All driver license classifications (class A, CDL, etc.).
- Tickets and accidents.
- Restrictions and suspensions.
Although some older information will drop off your driving record, the following will always remain on your RI driving record:
- Refusal to submit to chemical tests of any type (related to driving).
- Violations involving a school bus.
- Accidents resulting in property damage or personal injury.
- Speeding tickets 14 MPH or more above the speed limit.
- Tickets received by licensed commercial drivers (if applicable).
- Violations under the jurisdiction of superior or district courts.
The Rhode Island Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) offers certified and non-certified RI driving records.
- Certified DMV driving record: This type of driving record contains personal information such as your name, address, and social security number.
- Non-certified DMV driving record: This RI driving record does NOT include personal information other than your name, and only shows driving history, tickets, and license classification(s).
Non-Certified Driving Records
A non-certified copy of a driving record can be viewed online by any individual given authorization by the driver to access the proper information required to look up a RI driving record online.
No independent persons or agencies may access your driving record without your consent except for requests within the provisions of the federal Driver's Privacy Protection Act (DPPA). The following agencies routinely request RI driving records:
- Courts, law enforcement and government agencies.
- Insurance companies.
- Employers or potential employers performing a pre-employment screening.
- Licensed private investigators or security services performing a background check.
- Towing companies or impound yards.
Certified Driving Records
In most cases, the only person who can order a certified driving record in Rhode Island is the person whose information displays on the DMV driving record.
A certified RI driving record may be verified online within 180 days of issuance by anyone who receives authorization from the driver to view the driving record.
If you have any questions about the validity of a RI driving record, you may contact the Operator Control department of the Rhode Island DMV at (401) 462-0800.
You may order your RI driving record from the Rhode Island Division of Motor Vehicles online, in person, or by mail. You cannot order your driving record by phone.
To order your driving history at your local RI DMV office, you must:
- Request the driving record.
- Pay the required $17.50 driving record fee.
- For more fee information and acceptable payment methods, please view the section below titled “Fees for Rhode Island Driving Records."
The RI DMV offices will print and issue your RI driving record for you on site.
You may send a request for your Rhode Island driving record by mail. You will need to enclose a written request containing your:
- License number.
- Date of birth.
- Check or money order for your $17.50 driving record fee.
Mail everything to:
Division of Motor Vehicles
600 New London Ave.
Cranston, RI 02920
To obtain a copy of your non-certified RI driving record online, you will need to:
- Visit the RI Motor Vehicle Records page.
- Enter your:
- Last name.
- Date of birth.
- Zip code.
- RI driver's license number.
- Pay the required $19.50 RI driver record fee.
- NOTE: The RI DMV will assess a minimum $1.50 charge for credit cards.
- For payment methods and additional fee information, read the section below titled, “Fees for Rhode Island Driving Records."
The RI DMV charges various fees for each copy of a driving history, depending on how you make your request.
- In person: $17.50.
- By mail: $17.50.
- Online: $19.50.
- Credit cards will be assessed a minimum of $1.50 per transaction.
- All transactions above $64.00 will have a service fee of 2.35%.
Acceptable Payment Methods
The Rhode Island DMV accepts various payment methods depending on how you request your RI driving record:
- Money order.
- Credit cards (e.g., VISA, MasterCard, Discover).
You may pay with a check or money order made out to the “Division of Motor Vehicles."
For online transactions, you may use the following credit cards:
You should contact or visit your local RI DMV office to correct any incorrect information on your driving record.
The customer service representative will help you resolve the issue.
Good Driving Record Dismissal
If you get a ticket, but have not had a violation in 3 years, you may be eligible to have the ticket dismissed from your official driving history. Whether a violation will be dismissed is entirely up to the Rhode Island DMV.
If you meet the following requirements, you may submit a Request for Good Driving Record Dismissal to the DMV.
NOTE: Your traffic violation must NOT involve:
- A refusal to submit to a sobriety test.
- A school bus.
- Property damage or personal injury.
- Speeding 14 MPH or more above the speed limit.
- Driving a commercial vehicle or drivers with a commercial driver's license.
- A superior or district court.
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!
heroes have registered as organ donors.