Replacing a Lost or Stolen Passport

Lost or Stolen U.S. Passports

If your U.S. passport has been lost or stolen, it is important that you report it to the United States Department of State as soon as you can. Just like a stolen driver's license or identification card, a stolen passport can be used to steal your identity.

If you have international travel plans, you should also replace a lost or stolen passport as soon as you can to ensure you'll receive a new one in time for your trip.

On this page you'll find information about reporting a passport as lost or stolen and requesting a replacement.

Report Your Lost or Stolen U.S. Passport

Like all documents, U.S. passports sometimes get lost or stolen. Due to the importance of this particular document, you should report the theft or loss immediately.

If you would like to report your own U.S. passport as lost or stolen you can either:

If you find someone else's passport, mail it in a heavy-duty envelope to:

ATTN: Consular Lost and Stolen Passport Unit (CLASP)
U.S. Department of State
44132 Mercure Circle
PO Box 1227
Sterling, VA 20166

NOTE: Once you report your passport to be lost or stolen it is no longer valid, and you cannot reuse a lost/stolen passport if you find it.

Replace Your Lost or Stolen U.S. Passport

The steps to replace your lost or stolen passport will vary depending whether or not you are in the United States and when you plan to travel.

Replacing Your Passport in the United States

If you are in the U.S. and are planning to leave the country within the next 14 days, you'll need to make an appointment and visit a regional passport agency office in person. You'll need to:

You may be eligible to receive a replacement passport in as little as 2 to 3 weeks, depending on your specific circumstances.

For a complete list of U.S. Department of State passport agency offices and information about scheduling an appointment, please visit the U.S. Department of State website.

If you are in the U.S. and do not have any immediate international travel plans, you'll need to visit an authorized passport acceptance facility, such as a post office, and:

To locate an approved U.S. passport facility near you, please use the facility locator on the U.S. Department of State website.

Replacing Your Passport While Overseas

If you are not currently in the United States and have lost your passport while out of the country, you'll need to contact a U.S. Embassy or Consulate to help you replace it. To locate a U.S. Embassy near you, please visit the United States Embassy website.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review