Passport Renewal

A U.S. passport is valid for 10 years if you're at least 16 years old when it's issued, and 5 years if you're 15 years old or younger. If you don't find the info you need below, call (877) 487-2778 for more details on passport renewals.

Who Can Renew

You may renew your U.S. passport by mail, if all of the following apply to your situation:

  • Your undamaged passport can be submitted with your application.
  • You received your passport within the past 15 years.
  • You were at least 16 years old when you were issued the passport.
  • Your passport has your current name, or you can provide legal documentation of your name change.

If any of these conditions aren't met, you must apply for a new passport in person at a local location, such as selected post offices, clerk of court offices, and public libraries, or at a regional passport agency.

Renewal Method

If you don't need your US passport in a hurry, complete the following steps:

  1. Complete the U.S. Passport Renewal Application For Eligible Individuals (Form DS-82) in black ink.
  2. Be sure to sign and date the form on the first page.
  3. Locate your current passport.
  4. Gather 1 color photograph that is acceptable.
  5. Make your $130 check or money order payable to the Department of State ($160 for both the passport card and book).
  6. Locate your legal documentation of your name change (if applicable).

If you live in CA, FL, IL, MN, NY, or TX, send everything in a padded, weatherproof envelope to:

    National Passport Processing Center
    P.O. Box 640155
    Irving, TX, 75064

For every other state, plus Canada, send everything in a padded, weatherproof envelope to:

    National Passport Processing Center
    P.O. Box 90155
    Philadelphia, PA 19190

U.S. passports renewed by mail within the United States may only be sent to United States or Canadian addresses.

Expedited Passport Renewal Service

Traveling Within Approximately 2-3 Weeks

If you need your renewal processed in a hurry, follow the instructions listed above, but include payment for an extra $60 to handle the rush fee, and write "expedite" plainly on the envelope. Then, mail everything to:

National Passport Processing Center

P.O. Box 90955

Philadelphia, PA 19190

Processing Times

Your renewal wait time varies depending on the time of year, but you may check the current general wait time by visiting the application status page.

Renewing Abroad

Those living in a foreign country (other than Canada) should renew their passport in person at the nearest U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate. Be sure to take along all the materials listed above, along with your payment.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review